Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day Mama!

It's Mother's Day today, so first and foremost, Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there. But most importantly, HMD to my mama!! My mom, my best friend, my twinsie. This wonderful woman who gave me life and made me the woman that I am today. This is a woman who I talk, text, Snapchat, and/or FaceTime with multiple times a day. This is a woman who deserves an entire blog post dedicated to her. Why? Because as much as she annoys me from time to time (let's call a spade a spade here!), I am beyond lucky to have her as my mom.

My mother and I are closer than many mother-daughters I know. It wasn't always smooth sailings with us, but over the years we have just gotten closer and closer. Many people still joke that even though we are 800 miles apart, that the cord still hasn't been cut. Hey, I'm, okay with that.

The reason my mom and I are so alike is because I've always wanted to be just like her. She is smart. She is beautiful. She is driven and motivated. And of course, I could go on and on. But basically I wanted to be all the things she is and encompass all the qualities she has. My mom has taught me so many of the things that I know today whether she knows it or not. I have learned not to do some of the things she has done, but have taken on a lot of her characteristics. I am sort of her louder, stubborn, more outspoken, tomboy-y mini-me. We do differ in a lot of ways though, but the similarities between us are so much stronger. We have so many memories together and continue to make more. I am so grateful for her for so many reasons, but here are a few...

*Our yearly trips to Florida and all the inside jokes we have there. (Fiddy cent. Shirts in toilets. How to eat apples properly. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, etc... The list goes on.)

*Her visits to NYC. (It all started with my graduation present trip here almost ten years ago.) It's amazing how we can work out, walk around all day long, get dinner, and still not be tired. (And may or may not shower in between any of those things.) Not many people have the energy to do what we do.

*The fact that her interest in working out rubbed off on me and is such a big part of both of our lives. She got me into running and I got her into spinning.

*Our shared love of everything about workout clothes and gym shoes. It's an obsession and an addiction.

*She comes out for my marathons and not only cheers for me in multiple spots, but hops in with me and motivates me to the finish line when I have no gas left.

*Ah, a dutch oven. Hehehehe.

*Rub and scratch. 

*Big Salads. Wildfire. Chipotle. Roti. Go Roma. Portillos. (And hey, maybe throw in a chocolate cake shake too.)

*If something is out of stock at a store in New York or online, she will run all over town at home to find it for me and mail it to me if I really want it. (Seriously, this woman is the best.)

*She may or may not pretend to be me on the phone sometimes if I really have an issue I can't and don't know how to solve.

*Our seasonal Bean pics. Love them. 

*I am not the least bit embarrassed to hang out with her or introduce her to my friends. She is up to date with her music and pop culture and can keep up with all of us.

And the list goes on... I'm sure I'll think of A TON more things once I publish this, but for now, I think we all get the picture. I am obviously one lucky girl. So mama, you know I love you more than air and the distance between us won't ever change our relationship. And because you know my feelings about cards, this will have to do. But I have a feeling, that's okay! One day I can only hope to be half the mother you are to me. Love you and wish I was with you today.

Love, love,
Your Favorite Daughter

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way for me to end Mother's Day, with the best mama tribute ever. No my darling, I love you more than air! Sometimes, no words need to be spoken!
    Love you and see you next month! Yipeeeeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete