Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I CAN Make it Anywhere!

Well, it's finally happened...I'm officially a New Yorker. Today is the ten year anniversary of my big move to New York City. If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere, right? Well, I've made it suckas. Not that there was ever any doubt in my mind.

But really, this anniversary is a huge deal to me. Huge. Ten years is a long freaking time in a place where I was planning to just stay one year. A place I pretty much came to on a whim. A city where I knew no one and had only been to one time prior. It was a giant leap of faith that I took and sometimes I still have to pinch myself to believe I really did it and have been here ever since. It was one of the wisest decisions of my life and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Since I am Chicago born-and-bred and will always be a Chicagoan until the day I die, it's weird for me to sit back and actually believe I have lived in New York for ten whole years. I literally can't believe it. I feel super lucky! I went from the girl who hated sleeping out and crying at overnight camp (which was only twenty minutes from my house) to the girl that packed up most of her things and moved away from everything and everyone I knew. (For the record though, I still hate sleeping out.) It was a big risk and definitely one that paid off. Phew.

New York didn't exactly greet me with wide open arms as expected, but it quickly opened up to me. I had a rough start, but I didn't let that keep me down. That's not in my nature. I knew I was ready for everything this city had to offer and couldn't let a few initial bumps in the road get to me. I was ready to take it all in. After about a week or two, I was beginning to fit in and get with the program. I was a natural. Duh. No one would even dare confuse me for a tourist; after all, this place was just my speed. There were so many things to see and do and I was taking full advantage and wasting no time at all. There were places to go. People to meet. Food to be eaten. Drinks to be drunk. And tables to be danced on.

Since living here, I have seen and experienced a ridiculous amount of things. I've had my ups and downs, but it all comes with the territory. Many of the things I have witnessed are things one would never see anywhere else which is what makes New York so incredible. I have seen numerous celebrities, seen a man publicly defecate, seen another man publicly masturbate and so much more, yet somehow none of these things really seem to phase me that much. For some reason, they make me love and appreciate this city even more.

Sure I miss Chicago from time to time and constantly compare it to New York, but when all is said and done, I have created a life here. If only my parents would pick up and move on out here, everything would be perfect. But that's not my reality. My reality is a job I love. A cute, quaint apartment. Good friends. And memories to last a lifetime. I love that there are random times when I am walking down the street and actually have to say to myself "I can't believe I live here." The fact that I still get that feeling from time to time is so incredible to me. Once again, it makes me feel lucky.

I came to this big, bad city as a 22-year-old bright-eyed girl with unsure expecations. I am now a 32-year-old outgoing, independent woman who knows exactly what she wants in life and goes after it each and every day. After ten years here, I still sometimes feel that it's still just the beginning for me. That's what's so great about this city; it never stop surprising you and offering up new opportunities. New York, I made it here and I know for damn sure I CAN make it anywhere. I heart you. 

(And because I really don't have much shame, I am making sure to ask you to go ahead and click on all the links embedded in this post. Take a look back at some of my NYC memories, observations, and funny stories. You won't regret it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment