Monday, November 14, 2011

You're not from around here

I have lived in NYC for almost eight years now. Although I like to think of myself as a New Yorker now, I have heard you aren't really official until you hit the ten year mark. When I first visited NYC my senior year of college for the first time, I couldn't get enough of the city and its energy. It's fantastic and there is so much to see and do at all times. It's no wonder there are so many tourists in this great city. And guess what, us New Yorkers can spot you. I know because I was once one of you (even though I didn't commit all of the faux pas below. Maybe one or two, but I tried to play it cool, obvs.) So what gives you tourists away you ask?

1) You are most likely wearing a backpack (sometimes on your front. You know so you won't get pick-pocketed in this "crime ridden" city) or a fanny pack.
2) You actually wait at the crosswalk and wait for the "walking man" to appear even though there are no cars on the street. You will never get those three minutes of your life back, so just walk.
3) You walk four or five across on the sidewalk. So. Rude. I am trying to get where I need to be, so don't block the entire sidewalk.
4) You walk very slowly looking up at the buildings and will just stop without warning to check something out and/or to take a picture. You don't have break lights and if we aren't blowing by you, we are catching up pretty fast and will bump into you if you stop suddenly because we are most likely in a rush. Pull over for both of our sakes.
This was actually painted on the sidewalk as some kind of street art/joke
5) You actually want to go Times Square while we avoid it at all costs (unless we have visitors and take them there).
6) You call 6th Ave the Avenue of the Americas. Amateurs.
7) Ladies, many of you will try to dress very "Sex and the City" and walk around in high heels all day. If you are in 6-inch heels while walking around Central Park, you are a dead giveaway of a tourist. Stop trying so hard. This is a walking city, just be comfortable because we are not impressed.
8) Men, you have on manpris and/or mandals with socks. Ick.
9)You get to the top of the subway stairs and just stop in your tracks while you figure out where you are. Um, move to the side while everyone else can pass by. Thanks.
10) You keep T.G.I Fridays and the Olive Garden in business.

New York is a fabulous city and anyone in their right mind would want to visit it at least once in their lifetime. And they should. Experience it all and take advantage of this great city. However, dress appropriately and comfortably, exhibit common courtesy, venture outside your comfort zone with all the fine cuisine we have to offer, and most importantly, don't get in our way. Other than that, have a great time and you will fall in love with the city as much as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment