Monday, November 7, 2011

Marriage is FOR-EV-ER

Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries dated for about 6 months. They were engaged for about 3 months and were married for less than 2.5 months. That's only 72 days of marriage for those have that been living in a bubble these past few days. These two moved fast. Really fast. Got married fast. Got divorced even faster. But is anyone really surprised? Not. At. All. What was the rush? I mean, really?

Since I am an avid reader of celeb gossip websites and magazines, I have been following their romance from the start and have had my own opinions on each of them and their relationship from the get go. Obviously I don't know either one of them personally and everything I know is from what I read in my magazines and see on their "reality" show. Therefore I am no professional, but I am entitled my own opinions. I think Kim is vapid, dumb, and has no real personality. And I think Kris just got caught up with the lifestyle that Kim provided before he got in too deep and realized the craziness that is the Kardashian brand.

Kim and I are of similar ages and I know the pressure of being this old and not being married already. Oh, the horror! With her younger sister married, and her older sister already with child and a long-term boyfriend, Kim felt the pressure to tie the knot herself. Not to mention all the financial perks that came along with it in her case (Free dresses, cake, flowers and an entire TV special). However, was it really worth rushing into the relationship, engagement, and wedding? Nope. She embarrassed herself, her brand, and the sanctity of marriage. For reals.

Here's the thing about this that really bothers me about this: They knew each other for such a short period of time, most of which was in front of a camera, and actually thought this would work out. Or did they? They were going to get a windfall for this wedding regardless if they were really in love and knew it would last. Everyone keeps saying Kim is just a hopeless romantic that is "in love with being in love." I think she is just in love with publicity and money. Why else would she have rushed into all this? They barely knew each other. And did they really think that they did?

I would never get engaged to anyone without dating them for at  least 9 months and would never marry anyone without living with them first. And we'd have to live together for a substantial amount of time. How can you really know someone without living with them? Going to sleep by their side and waking up next to them (sans make-up, combed hair, and brushed teeth). Seeing their daily habits. Showing them your good, your bad, and your ugly. You should be able to do (almost) anything in front of them you'd do on your own.  You should be able to cry in front of them (something Kim did only once in front of Kris), fart in front of them, and be sick in front of them. They should know you better than anyone else. After all, you are going to spend the rest of your life with this person. For better or worse. FOR-EV-ER.

For some reason, divorce scares the crap out of me. If I met someone, got married, and it ended in divorce, I would be so upset with myself for allowing that to happen. I would honestly feel like I failed. Like it was a character flaw on my end for not knowing this would happen. For me, divorce cannot happen. I want to get married once and stay married to that person for my entire life. There is no other option. 

My parents are still married. They've been married for over 30 years and I find that to be an amazing accomplishment. For anyone. It makes me very proud when I can tell people my parents are still together. And when I see them hold hands, it makes me giddily happy.  They are accomplishing something that over half of the country can't. Well done, Mom and Dad. I love you guys even more for that and I can only hope I achieve the same thing. 

The thing that Kim and Kris' divorce made even more clear to me is how important marriage is. It's a big freaking deal. You have to really know each other. And love each other unconditionally. Not just because its convenient for you or because you feel its just the next step you have to take (or because you will rake in $17 million for the TV special). I think Kim was so caught up with the "Fairytale Wedding", she forgot about the actual Fairytale and living the "Happily Ever After." Shame on her.

2 comments:

  1. She also assumed that there would be a basketball season right now, and she would be sitting court side (even though it's at a Nets game) watching her man play. In that case, how much real interaction would there be?

    Anyway, enough about her... You'll find the right guy for you. Hopefully for his sake he's also a neat freak who loves burping and sweatpants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNL did a spot on skit about it Saturday Night as well. It was hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwQ0OWNT5E

    ReplyDelete