Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving with my Fave Person

I am not going home to Chicago for Thanksgiving this year. I have lived in NYC for about eight years and have gone home for Thanksgiving a total of three times. The first time was because it was my first year away from home so of course I had to go. The second time I had a wedding the previous weekend and just stayed until the following Sunday (thank god for my super nice principal who granted me those three personal days!). And the third time was last year for my ten-year high school reunion which was that weekend. You see, I love my family with all my heart, but flying out of NYC the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and coming home the Sunday after is no walk in the park. In fact, it is awful. Lines are long, people are grouchy, and usually my flights are delayed. All for a rushed weekend at home. It's not worth the anxiety for me. Yes, I know its one of the most special holidays of the year, but my family understands why I don't come home. They are more concerned about what their little girl does all day on Thanksgiving in NYC all by herself. Well that's easy, I hang out with my favorite person in the world: myself. We have a great little day together; one that I actually look forward to. Is that weird?

I get offers to go to friend's houses for Thanksgiving in Long Island, New Jersey, etc... but if I can't be with my own family, I don't want to be with someone else's. That makes me sad. I'd rather be by myself. For some reason, that is not as depressing for me. Does that make sense at all?

I have my Thanksgiving Day all planned out and I am hoping the weather cooperates. You see, in a city like NYC, there is actually plenty to do on Thanksgiving day. And if there wasn't, I would also be just as happy laying around in my sweatpants watching movies all day. (But I don't want to do that because I will have the rest of the weekend to do that if need be. ) Lots of people are alone on Thanksgiving here. Some people have a "friendsgiving" while others have what they call "NYC orphans Thanksgiving" and invite all the people that have nowhere to go for the holiday. I have been invited, but never attended these kind of events for the same reason I don't take my friends up on their offer to go to their homes for the holiday. I am fine alone. One year I was here my roommate and I went out for a Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant in the neighborhood. It was meh. Another year my boyfriend at the time and I cooked our own feast which actually came out delicious. And two years ago I spent the morning with a friend and the rest of the day wandering around getting lost in this wonderful city. I am really looking forward to doing something like that again. It's rare to find days where the city feels so empty. And I kind of like it. Makes it more homey.

So what am I am going to do on my turkey day? I am super excited to sleep in (ha...who am I kidding with that one?), relax for a bit, and then head out to watch Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade live. I use to watch it on TV when I was a little kid and to be able to see it live still thrills me each time. I love seeing the giant balloons and the celebrities singing. But the thrill only lasts for about a half hour or so and then I get bored. I will then walk downtown with the parade and then veer off to do some shopping. Old Navy will be open. Walgreens (one of my three favorite stores!) will be open. And other stores are usually open along the way. I will dilly dally around the city and eventually make my way back home, hopefully after snagging a good deal or two, and then shower and put on my sweats. By this time, I will be exhausted and will prob throw in an early movie and make myself a microwave dinner. Don't feel bad. I don't really like Thanksgiving food that much anyway. The starches yes, but not so much to everything else. I don't miss it. I am actually grateful to not have that caloric bomb of a meal. One less thing to stress over. After my meal, I will prob watch some more TV and call it a night. But don't worry, I will have most likely talked to my family at least five times that day, checking in multiple times, reassuring them I am okay and having a great day.

To some people, this day sounds awful. But to me, its kind of fun. Do I wish I was home with my family? Of course. Do I wish my family would come to NYC for Thanksgiving? Dying to have them do that! But it's not happening this year, so I am going to make the best of it and enjoy my day. Happy Thanksgiving all.

1 comment:

  1. Wait I thought I was your favorite person. Oh well i guess second place is ok. Ps the dvd player is heavy. See you sooooon

    ReplyDelete