Thursday, November 3, 2011

You know how I know you're my friend?

I knew that I had good friends here in NYC. In my 7 years here, its been up and down on who was a "fun friend" and who was a "true friend." (Most are both but there are some that are just "fun friends") I can now confidently say now that the group of girls I surround myself with now are true friends.  This recently came into light because I was was pretty sick and injured (at the same time!). I have Ulcerative Colitis and recently had a bad flare-up that wouldn't go away. One night the pain was so excruciating I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I didn't go because I hate waiting and I had my first day of work the next day. I know those sound like lame excuses if I was in the pain I say I was in. But when you are in a city where your family isn't and you are sick, its hard to think rationally. My friends knew I was sick and in pain, but it wasn't until the next day when I told them what happened the night before that they showed their true colors. Five of them yelled at me for not going to the ER and for not even calling them with the intense pain I was in. You know that scale the doctor has on the wall that goes from 1-10 asking your pain? Well I was at a 10. And I have never been a 10 before. That bad. Anyway, I know these girls weren't just saying they'd go with me, they literally scolded me for not taking care of myself and not seeing a doctor immediately. It was like having 5 of my mothers right here in New York. In hindsight, it was very stupid not to go to the ER and if I had to do it again, you better believe I would have dragged my ass to the ER and waited if need be. With all that being said, I realized what my friends would do for me. Being mostly teachers, they were all willing to give up their sleep before the first day of school to be with me and make sure I was okay. That's a big deal. And for some reason this reminded me of this scene from 40-Year Old Virgin. 
That scene always makes me laugh yet has nothing to do with this post...kind of. So here's where I am going with this...instead of a "you know how I know you're gay" list, I have a "you know how I know you're my friend" list.

So, here it is: "You know how I know you're my friend"...

1. You will hit me with force when I talk too loud about the skanky girl right in front of me. (Sorry if I have volume control problems.)
2. You don't judge me when I make clean plate club of my double Shackburger and cheese fries.
3. You will pull me back up when I am about to throw up on the street in public and make me wait it out until there is no one around.
4. You tell me the guy I am drunkenly making out with is ass-ugly and I can do better. In front of his face.
5. If either one of us in the shower and the other has to poop, we understand that need and its okay. Go right ahead and do what you need to do.
6. You will tell me that the guy I have been obsessing over is a complete loser-idiot with bad taste for not liking me back and actually mean it.
7. You offer to help me use my new suppository medicine if I need help (with rubber gloves, of course!)
8. You offer to loofah by butt before a spray tan so it won't be streaky.

As I made this list, it really made me happy knowing that without my family being here, I have people in NYC that I can trust and count on in a time of need. I just hope you guys know you have the same in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment