Friday, February 10, 2012

Hmmm...Chi vs. NYC

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and currently live in New York. People are always asking me which city I love more and I never know how to answer. It's really a toss up. There are really so many things to consider when making this decision. One is the city that I was born and raised in and will always be my home no matter what. I miss it often because it is so great. The other is one that I now consider my home because I have fallen in love with it. In order to try to figure this out a bit, I decided that I was going to look at different aspects of each city and see who has the best to offer. So here we go...

Transportation: New York Wins. In New York, you can take a subway or a bus pretty much anywhere. It's very convenient and also saves me money on car insurance, gas, and parking. (I sold my car before I moved out here.) Chicago is more of a driving city because its so much more spaced out than Manhattan. The L just doesn't go everywhere you need it to in a City as big as the Chi. Many people believe that Manhattan is huge, but its really only like 13 miles long and 2 miles wide. Chicago is enormous. If you really wanted to, you can walk the length and width of Manhattan if you needed to. (I have actually done both on numerous occasions.)

Pizza: Chicago Wins. I can count on two hands the amount of times I have had pizza in NYC (while sober). It is not something I just go out and get even though there are pizza shops on every block. However, pizza is a must when I go home to Chicago. Deep dish pizza (esp Lou Malnati's) is a can't miss whenever I am back in town. New York City pizza, although more portable and lightweight, does not hold candle to some Chicago style pizza.

Shopping: Tie. Michigan Ave in Chicago isn't known as the Mag Mile for nothing. It has some of the best shopping in the world. New York has the famed Fifth Ave and all the monster flagship stores. Both cities are also known for the cute boutiques in other neighborhoods as well. Wicker Park in Chi. SOHO in NYC. And the list goes on.

Museums: Chicago wins. New York is home to some of the most famous museums in the world, but to me, they are pretty boring. I can only look at so much art. Ugh. Snoozefest.  Although I do find NYC's Museum of Natural History (Night at the Museum museum) pretty great, it doesn't even compare to Chicago's Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Shedd Aquarium. Sorry NYC.

Sidenote: If we are considering zoo's here as well, Chicago will win this again because the Lincoln Park zoo is amazing. It's free, it has the Ape House which I am obsessed with, and its within walking distance of the lake. Done and done.

Energy: New York wins. Where else can you live where 2:00 in the morning can be just as crowded on the streets as 2:00 in the afternoon? Where else at 4:00 in the morning can you run around the corner and get basically anything you need? And this can be on a week night or weekend night. Additionally, the food vendors, clothing vendors, artists, wackos, etc... are what make NYC such a fantastic place.

Beach: Chicago Wins. I am a Lake Michigan girl through and through. The Lake is right at the tip of your fingers in Chi-town and pretty easily accessible. The ocean freaks me out and I will not go higher than my knees in the water unless I can absolutely see the bottom of the ocean. Plus, if you are in the city in NY, you have to either schlep all the way to Long Island or to the Jersey Shore if you want a nice beach. There is no way in hell you will catch me at Coney Island (also a huge schlep and disgusting).

Skyline: Tie. Driving into Chicago from either the north or the south has fantastic views. The Sears Tower (yes, I refuse to call it Willis Tower) and the Hancock building lead the way and on a sunny day or a clear night. It is simply gorgeous. As for NYC, when you are driving in from Queens from the airport or across the river in (west) NJ or (east) Brooklyn, the view is spectacular. Empire State Building and Chrysler Building light up the sky. Both skylines blow me away.

Sports Teams: Chicago Wins. This category is pretty important to me because I am such a huge sports fan. I grew up rooting for Chicago teams and that will never change. When you live through the '85 Bears and their Superbowl Shuffle and the TWO three-peats of the Chicago Bulls, how can you not love Chicago sports teams? Even the Cubs, our loveable losers. Good thing they have Wrigley field which is absolutely one of the most fun places on Earth. Although I am now a New Yorker, I will always root for my Chicago teams first and foremost. As long as they are not playing a Chicago team or it doesn't affect us negatively, I will root for a NY team. All except the Knicks. Even after all these years, John Starks and Patrick Ewing still make me cringe and hate the Knicks.

Additionally, in Chicago, high school and college sports (esp basketball and football) are a big freaking deal. Chicago has two college teams that most people root for: The University of Illinois Fighting Illini and the Northwestern Wildcats. In NYC, because there are so many transplants from everywhere, the city doesn't really have a go-to college team. And I miss that. I-L-L...

So what other major categories am I missing? Any? Probably a bunch. There is a lot of things I could compare between these two fantastic cities. But with this list it looks like Chicago is the clear winner. With that being said, you are probably wondering why I choose to stay in NYC. Well, I have created a nice little life for myself here and am not quite ready to leave yet because I really do love it. With all my friends shacked up with hubby's and their own lives in Chicago, I fear that when I do go back I will have to start all over from scratch. Until then, I will continue to love NYC and all it has to offer and take in as much of Chicago as I can whenever I go back home.

2 comments:

  1. ... sports teams : chicago wins.
    false.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Chicago wins come home. We miss you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete