Thursday, February 2, 2012

OMG...Delete. Delete. Delete.

Over the years there has obviously been an increase in technology. So much stuff that I am thankful wasn't around when I was in high school and college because lord knows how much trouble I could have gotten myself into with my stupidity and tendency to rush, especially when drunk. Now with the advent of having smartphones and having the internet literally right at your fingertips every waking moment, there is always the opportunity to embarrass and/or make an ass of yourself. You know those moments when you want to reach out into cyberspace and take back what you just sent? I have experienced this more than I'd like to admit, but its a good thing I am not easily embarrassed.  Below are some funny experiences I or a friend have had using our phones where we literally wanted to scream because of mortification that we just caused ourselves by rushing, not thinking, and pressing send way too fast. Hey, it happens to the best of us.

1. Texting the wrong person. This isn't a huge deal and has probably happened to quite a few people. Multiple times. I have done it tons of times, usually over stupid things. However, when you are texting a friend about someone else and accidentally text that "someone else," this becomes a problem.  A short time ago, I had gone out with some friends and drank a little too much. Okay, a lot too much. I ended up making out with two different guys that night (be real proud mom. Ha!). My second make-out of the evening texted me in the morning to ask how I was feeling. He also must have noticed that I had been pretty drunk when we parted. I honestly didn't expect to, or care to hear from him again, but was nonetheless surprised to hear from him the very next day. Apparently I made quite the first impression, natch. Later that day, I went on to text one of my friends who was out with me the night before. At least I thought that was who I was texting when I nonchalantly typed "Makeout #2 texted me this morn to see how I was feeling. Guess I was pretty out of control last night." However, after sending the text, I realized that I did not text my friend, but texted the guy. As soon as I realized this I started freaking out. After shouting an "OMG" to no one imparticular on the street, I followed it up by an "Oooops, ignore me" text to this very gentleman which was followed up by him with an "LOL." Good thing I don't plan on talking to/seeing this guy again. And good thing he took it lightly or was just too dumb to realize he was makeout number TWO. Sucka.

I have also been on the receiving end of this error with a guy I had liked a lot. I was happy to see that I was getting a text from him until I realized he was meaning to write to someone else about ME. Once I got the text I thought about not replying at all but decided to follow it up with "That obviously wasn't for me, but about me" I was met with an "Oh shit" from him and many apologies. He was obviously embarrassed and it wasn't even a bad text. Thankfully.  It was a funny story about the weekend's previous events (not suitable to discuss here since my parents read this!), so I could laugh about it as well. It was def the icing on the cake of a "did that really just happen to me?" story.

2. Putting the person you are searching on Facebook as your status instead. I had developed quite a crush on a guy I had met. This is pretty unique of me to actually like someone so I obviously had to show my friends who he was because they were curious as to what special someone actually garnered my attention. Since the crush and I had already become Facebook friends, I decided I would look him up on my Blackberry to show them his pictures so they could see how cute he was. This also happened to be in the middle of a grad school class. When I went to FB on my phone to look him up, instead of putting his name in the search, I put it as my status. Once I realized what I did, I started profusely sweating, turned beat red, and my heart began to race. I couldn't believe that this guy's name was now my status. After about 45 seconds or so as my status, I was finally able to delete it but feared the worst. Did others see it and wonder who this guy was? Did he see his name as my status? OMG. He thinks I am such a creeper. OMG. It took a good hour of post status-deletion for me to calm down and relax and I quickly got over it, but ever since then, I always double check anything on FB mobile.

3. Posting a picture/status on someone else's Facebook page because you forgot to go back to your homepage. This happened to someone very close to me and had me in hysterics. After my ex-boyfriend defriended me because his new girlfriend made him, I still wanted to FB stalk a bit and see what he's up to. Since we aren't FB friends, but he remained friends with my entire family and tons of my friends, I was able to login as someone else to see his page. (Don't judge. You know you would too!) When my friend was in town recently, we logged on her phone so she could show me something on his page. We looked, judged, laughed and then closed the FB app. The next morning, she went out in the city for a bit and took a pic to post on FB. However, what she didn't realize what that she never went back to her page before posting the pic and posted it and her status on HIS page thinking it was hers. She didn't know how to delete it so I got a series of texts from her "911. OMG. OMG. Call me. Now." "I just posted a pic on _____'s page. Delete. Delete. Delete." "OMG. Delete. Call me. Now." I immediately logged on my computer to her page and deleted the picture but could not stop laughing. Did he actually see the pic? If so, did he wonder why she posted on his page? Whatever. Hilarious. The panic that she was in was too funny and we still laugh about it because its just so ridiculous. However, I know if I was in her shoes, I would have been mortified too.

This is not really an error on my part, but still quite funny. 
Facebook pictures with me making out in the background.  I love looking at pictures on Facebook. Especially of me. Obvi. Of events/parties I was at. One time I was looking at a friend-of-a-friend's facebook pictures from a wedding I was at (they were luckily on the "friends of friends" privacy setting) and noticed a couple making out in the background in quite a few pictures. I don't know if anyone else would have noticed, but I spotted the serial kissers right away. It then hit me that it was ME in the background making out. OMG. Since I wasn't friends with the person's whose pics they were, I couldn't ask them to delete them and frankly I didn't care that much. If I could barely tell it was me, I was hoping others couldn't. And if not, at least there was some evidence of my fun night (esp since I didn't remember most of it. Ooops.)

These are pretty mild errors in the general sense. Yes they are embarrassing, but they did no real damage and still make me giggle a little when I think about them. I know there is a lot worse that I have managed to avoid and hope to never make. Remember, once you hit send, there is no turning back.

No comments:

Post a Comment