Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hey, do I know you?

When you live in one of the greatest cities in the world, its no surprise that many celebrities live here or visit frequently. I consider myself to be a very observant person so I am usually able to spot a celebrity right away on the street or in a store. Additionally because I watch so many TV shows, I can spot your most Z-list celeb and get excited over it even if no one else around hasn't a clue who they are.  What's weird about most of these sightings, especially the reality TV celebs, is that I will see them and think they look super familiar to me; like I know them from real life, and then come to realize that they are "famous." Then I feel really lame (for a brief millisecond), laugh at myself, and text someone who would appreciate this sighting.

In lieu if my most recent celeb sighting, which was incredible btw, (none other than the "Social Assassin" himself, Larry David) I decided to sit down and make a list the celeb sightings I have had while living in NYC. While some are better than others, I still pretty much turn into a grinning-school-girl-idiot when I see any of them. I will call or text a friend or my parents immediately which is usually met with a "Who is that?" but they can't steal my thunder. I do not however, go up to the celebrity and ask for a photo or autograph (what are the point of these anyway?) Us New Yorkers are cool. We are smooth. We aren't supposed to care if a celeb is in our midst. They're just like us, right? We are just supposed to pretend they aren't famous and it's totally normal to see them out and about, but I can't do that. Like I said before, I don't go up and harass them but I do tend to stare at them. A lot. Sue me.

Below are some of the best celebrity sightings I have had while living here:

Ray Allen- My very first NYC celeb sighting during my very first time in NYC. I was in Little Italy with my mom and Ray and a female were dining outside. I was in awe. I mean, it's Jesus Shuttlesworth after all.
Larry David- Walking right down 79th between Park and Mad just the other day. I literally stopped and stared. I had to pick my jaw off the ground and didn't know who to call first to tell. I don't what it is about that man, but he just cracks me up.
Diddy- I have seen Diddy twice now. Once when he voted on election day at my school (which was a polling place) and another in Central Park barking to someone on his cell phone. There is something about him that exudes power and arrogance that I just find so attractive.
LL Cool J- Also came to vote at my school. Licking his lips over and over. Me staring and drooling over and over.
Christopher Meloni (Det. Stabler from SVU)- Also came to vote at my school. He can arrest me anyday.
Denzel Washington- At my grad school graduation dinner/celebration with my family, Denzel was there eating a few tables away. Nothing like enjoying a fabulous meal with delicious eye candy on the side.
Jay-Z and Beyonce- These two were exiting their car and entering the very same restaurant that we were leaving and Denzel was still inside. Obviously that restaurant is for only the most important people (which is why I was there, natch).
Hulk Hogan- My dad actually spotted Hulk while we were shopping at the H&M on Fifth Ave and got so excited. It was adorable. It was my parents first time visiting me in NYC and they got a fantastic celeb sighting.
Uma Thurman- I literally ran into her at Newark airport. She had her backed turned and ran right into me. As I was about to say something nasty to her for bumping me, she turned around and I looked up and realized who it was. Ooops, my bad, of course.
Elliot Spitzer- For three weeks straight, I passed this man like four times running in Central Park. Whenever I pass him, I giggle because I am so grossed out by what he did. (P.S. he has the weirdest body.)
Charles Barkeley- My first year living in NYC, I was at the China Club (don't judge, I was young), and there was Sir Charles at the bar chillin' with an ugly chick. If he thought she was pretty, he had to think I was cute, right? Apparently not, as he didn't even glance our way.
Kate Gosselin- She was jogging in Central Park alone. She was wearing a full face of make-up which made me only think of her being even more ridiculous, but it was still cool seeing her.

Other noteables (and where I saw them in case you care):
Julianne Moore (57th St subway), Pete From 30 Rock (union square subway), Howard stern and his wife (jogging in Central Park quite a few times) Jason Hoppy a.k.a Mr. Bethanny Frankel (Running in CP), Bill Rancic (China Club with Sir Charles), Carla from Top Chef (dining out on UWS),  Star Jones (Dining out on UES), Al Roker (walking around UES), Ramona singer (and her husband Mario and daughter Avery on numerous separate occasions) (I see her all the time on the UES...I think she lives right by me... and yes, she does have CRAZY EYES), Countess Luanne (walking around UES), Martin Short (outside his building on UES), Allan Houston (visiting my school), David Schwimmer (Apple Store Soho), Chris Noth (8th St. subway), Téa Leoni (walking around UES), David Duchovny (on numerous occasions walking around UES...he must live real close to me too), Cousin Ari from Mad About You (Shake Shack UWS)

My array of MTV Real World/Road Rules/Challenge peeps:
Brandon From Fresh Meat (at the Frying Pan), Mallory from RW: Paris (Bryant Park Grill), Chet from RW: Brooklyn (Shake Shack UWS), Paula, Janelle, both RW: Key West and Darrell from RR (in Chinatown shopping for knock-offs. I guess those shows don't pay as much as I had originally thought.) 

While I am sure I am forgetting some, it was kind of cool to look back and make this list. There are a few celebs who I still would love to see in real life who live in NYC or are here quite often: Sarah Jessica Parker, Kelly Ripa, Tina Fey, and Snookie.  But if its meant to be, it will be. But for the time being, I will continue to bask in the joy of seeing someone from some random reality show.

2 comments:

  1. Michael Strahan - Restaurant, UES - a few months ago with RS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Brooklyn but work in NYC and I NEVER see anyone. But a friend of mine saw my absolute fave, Alexis Bledel!!!! I was sooo jealous that she saw Rory Gilmore!!
    -SL

    ReplyDelete