Monday, September 19, 2011

Karma's a bitch

My two biggest fears living in NYC are getting bed bugs in my apartment and injuring myself so bad I would have to be on crutches. I am very thankful that neither of these has happened to me so far. However, I recently fractured a bone in my foot and have to wear a boot on my foot. The doctor knows how hard this city is the get around with on crutches and offered me a cane instead. I politely declined even though I really could have blinged it out and worked a pimp cane. But I just didn't need it.

So how did I break my foot you may be thinking? Well, I fell on the sidewalk. Wearing 5-inch heels. While drunk. Ugh. So stupid. Yes, I remember falling and yes I remember thinking at the time that I did break something in my foot because it hurt so bad. See, I wasn't "that drunk" but drunk enough to take a tumble. So frustrating. I mean, I am 29 years old. I wear high heels quite often and drink quite often and yet have been lucky enough not to injure myself in all my drunken escapades. It's not like I am in college anymore where I'd wake up in the morning with cuts on my knees and feet and wonder where they came from. (It does happen occasionally with some bruises, but I do bump into things a lot, even sober.) I am a grown-up now.

Being in the boot for the last week (with two more to go) has really opened my eyes to more public transportation manners of people who ride the trains and buses here. I usually walk to my bus stop (2 blocks and 3 avenues away) in the morning and just take an uptown express bus to work. However, with the boot, its a struggle to walk to the bus, so I have been taking the crosstown bus. It's usually pretty crowded in the morning and silly me assumed that people might actually give up their seats to the girl in the boot. Boy, was I wrong. As soon as I hobble on the bus, people see the boot and avert their eyes from me. It's so disgusting. The nannies and other women with their children on the bus, pretend not to notice as to not give up their seats. Or even worse, just stare at me from their seats. So freaking rude. All I can say to them is karma is a bitch. What goes around comes around. It's not like its after work and people are exhausted and don't want to stand. This is the morning. The nannies are taking the kids to schools. I mean, really? And don't get me started on the men who pretend not to see. Where has chivalry gone? What if I was their wife or daughter? They'd want someone to give a seat up for them. Assholes.

When I see an old person, injured person, or pregnant person, I will almost always give up my seat no matter how crowded it is. It's common courtesy. Being in the boot has really opened my eyes to this. A lot.  But don't get me wrong, there have been some really nice, concerned people as well. People who ask how I injured myself and if I need any help getting on or off the bus. These people don't have to ask or care, but they do, and its pretty genuine. And for them, karma will not be a bitch. They will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment