Friday, September 9, 2011

Look out Patty Stanger

I have been set-up on blind dates a few times since living in NYC. Out of all of them, one led to a second date. And that was the end of that because he kept using his cell phone on the date which is soooo rude (and he also had a terrible name that I could NEVER picture myself saying. I never even called him by his name on either date. It was that bad.) Anyway, being set up can be fun and exciting because you don't know what's in store. And unless you are with a real loser, you usually get a free drink or two, or even a full meal out of the deal. If you have a great time, you start to picture the better times to come and get all giddy. If you have a terrible time, you at least come home with a funny story for your friends. One of my best friends actually met her husband by being set up by a mutual friend. That gives me some hope that it could still happen for me. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

I have never set anyone up before. Until now. And thanks to the world of Facebook, I just made my first set-up with two friends of mine and I could not be more excited for them. What if matchmaking is my calling? Or maybe I would just be 1/1 and go out on top? But its always fun when you know two people who may hit it off and you try to make it happen. And if sparks fly (and clothes come off), even better.

So the other day a friend and I were on my Facebook creepin' some people's pics. We were seeing if they had any cute friends. Then she noticed this guy on my page. She was like "Ooh, ooh, he's cute. Who is he? How do know him? What's his deal?" This guy is on my softball team and is a pretty cool kid. He's a pretty good softball player, he's really fast, and he's about her age. Well, that was enough for her to be intrigued. I jokingly mentioned that I should message him offering to set him up even though I don't him that well. Or suggested she could come to a game in the very near future and I could introduce them. Both of us being girls who like instant gratification, decided that I should message him right then and there.  I have little shame and had nothing to lose so I said I would. If anything, my friend has a new boy to gain. I wrote a very smooth, casual, humorous message asking his status (single?) and if he wanted to be set-up. We pressed send and the waiting game began. Would he write back? Would he think I was a total creep for even offering to set him up since I don't know him that well...I mean we just play softball together? Or would he be totally flattered that I thought to set him up? I mean, I know I would totally be flattered if someone sent me the message that I sent out.

A few days later he wrote me back apologizing for not seeing the message earlier, but saying he was definitely interested in being set-up. Score! I was so excited. My friend was excited. Woo-hoo! Part one of the matchmaking was a success. I am sure as I type, he is looking her up on Facebook and thinking of something suave and cool to message her with. Or is that just what us girls do? Regardless, we were both pretty jazzed that this might actually work. I mean if Patty Stanger gets paid a boatload of cash to set up loser after loser with an awful success rate, why can't I try it for free for people I actually want to be happy? I can only hope they go out and hit it off.  Who knows, maybe I earn my own Bravo matchmaking show...

No comments:

Post a Comment