Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Every night, the same

Manhattan really is a city that has everything right at the tip if your fingers. You walk out your door to a million options of food, clothes, entertainment, etc... However most people that live in the city have their favorite neighborhood haunts that they frequent more often then they would like to admit. Everyone has their "go-to" place. Mine is the little Greek place right around the corner from my apartment building.  I go at least 2-3 times a week to grab dinner. The girls behind the counter know me there and when I order my salad, they know before I even have to ask, to throw in an extra dressing on the side. Sounds great, right?  Well sometimes I get self conscious going in there because I wonder if they think its weird I buy food from them so often. I feel like they are like "oh, this chick again...does she ever cook?" Well yes, it's me again, and you are correct, I barely cook unless you count throwing a Lean Cuisine in the microwave or tossing a bunch of veggies in a bowl for a salad. Whenever I walk in there, it makes me think of the Sex and the City episode where Miranda calls for Chinese takeout and starts to order her food and the take-out girl interrupts her with the rest of the order, knowing already what she is going to say. She then follows it up in the most stereotypical Asian-American accent with one of my favorite lines of the entire SATC series, "Every night, the same. Haha...hahahahaha."
Needless to say, Miranda gets pissed. She thinks the take out girl is making fun of her. Of her sad, pathetic, single life. Well guess what Miranda? I know that feeling. And the girls at the place I go to don't even laugh at me (at least not in front of my face.)  However at the end of the episode when Miranda goes down to the restaurant to confront the take-out girl, she realizes that is just how the girl acts toward everyone. Miranda realizes she was being paranoid and the girl wasn't laughing at her after all. I am not saying I feel pathetic when I go to order my food, because really, there are probably other people that eat there like 5 -6 days a week compared to my 2-3. Maybe I am being overly sensitive/dramatic. Who knows? But probably yes. I do know, they make great, cheap food that is reasonably healthy so I need to just stop being so paranoid and appreciate the convenience.

1 comment:

  1. "Reasonably healthy"

    I stopped there on my way to class at Hunter, and greatly enjoyed the fries in my gyro, surrounded by the delicious tzatziki sauce.

    -CH

    ReplyDelete