Monday, September 12, 2011

I am not getting any younger...

Reading the title of this post, you may think I am referring to myself. I am not. I am quoting many mothers (mine included) that I know of girls my age who are still single. This specific quote has come out of my mom's mouth but most recently, it came out of the mouth of one of my best friend's (LL) mother. And not for the first time. Try almost every single time they talk and are together. She told LL she needs to hurry up and meet a man because "she is not getting any younger and if she needs someone to babysit her future children she better act now".  Nothing like a little motherly advice. It's like they think we actually enjoy being single when a lot of our other friends are getting married and even starting to have kids. This is not the case.

LL's mom and my mom have never met, but they certainly share the same opinions about their single daughters. Everyone is so "worried" for us single girls.  LL's mom even sent her a letter that said "she was very concerned for her future" because she is still single. This blew me away.  We laughed a whole lot about this one and read it over and over.  Laughing the entire time. A whole letter devoted to her daughter's singledom. Doesn't she see how awesome her daughter is? I actually think she does know which is why she is so shocked LL is still single and why my mom and other mothers just expect guys to automatically fall in love with their beautiful, charming, amazing daughters. Why can't the guys see what great catches our mom's, ourselves, and eacho ther know we are? Well, according to the mothers, there are many reasons we can't seem to land a man:

1) We are very unapproachable when we are out. How do they know this? They have never been to the bars with us. Do they picture us in the corner, arms crossed with scowls on our faces? Why yes, they do. Is this true? Absolutely not!

2) Any guy that talks to us, we disregard without giving him a chance.  This is not often the case. When guys do approach us, we do give them a chance. It's a slight one that we'd hope they try and take advantage of, but its a chance. If they don't use it to their fullest, then they best be on their way because we don't have the patience and they are blocking the way of other potential cuties.

3) Burping. Well this one is true and its all on me. My friends don't burp in public like I do and they often scold me for doing so, but I can't help it. Its a part of who I am. I really try to hold it in in public, especially if around cute guys, but sometimes the beer gets the best of me. Love it or leave it.

4) We don't approach guys, we wait for them to come to us. Another blatant falsity. I am very outgoing, even more so under the influence of alcohol (as are my friends). If we see someone that interests us, 8/10 times we will approach them. Do they always reciprocate the attraction? No. But that's life. You don't know if you don't try. So yes, moms, we do try. But don't expect us to just walk up to anyone. We do have high standards you know.

Mommas, yes, you aren't getting any younger, and neither are we.  Yes, we go out and have fun with our girlfriends and drink and dance all night, but is this something we want for the rest of our life? Absolutely not. We want to find a companion, life partner, maybe even the father of our chidren. It's not like we are actively trying to be single. We still haven't found "The One" and we aren't going to force it and we aren't going to settle. And you shouldn't pressure us into doing so. We know we deserve the best and would hope you feel the same way. It will happen. But it takes time. Be patient. And if it bothers you so much, start your own blog about your single, pathetic daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment