Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Another Day, Another Palace...

Day 13

This morning was amazing again because I had another great run. My cousin had told me about Retiro Park and how she used to hang out there when she lived here. It was close to my hotel (yet I didn't find it yesterday) so I sought it out this morning (of course it was only three blocks away, but in the direction I didn't go yesterday) and it was awesome. It seems like the Central Park of Madrid. On the up and back on the loop (I didn't go all the way around because I wasn't sure if the distance, I got to see the Puerto de Alcalá (which I looked up when j got home). There were a ton of runners and paths and even a reservoir with a kick-ass sunrise. There I was again, running around like a grinning idiot, happy as a clam. I plan to go back tomorrow morning to run it again but I do want to research the paths more for the distances. 


After my run, I came back to the hotel and did some laundry in the sink and then went down to breakfast, my favorite meal of the day. Then it was off to the Royal Palace for the tour. But before that, we got a bus tour of the city seeing the Plaza de Cibeles and the big fountain there and then driving down Gran Via and seeing some shops and other things that I saw on my explorations. We finally ended at the Palace and after being there last night and seeing the outside, I was looking forward to see the inside. This palace was probably my favorite one to see. Each room was so ornate and detailed; it was pretty incredible. From the wallpaper to the ceilings to the chandeliers, it was all super impressive. No photos were allowed in the rooms, but each one was different from the next and pretty out there and extravagant. It was also cool to see the Kings throne and his crown. That sucker is huge and there is no way it would fit in someone's head because of the weight which is the reason it sits next to the king. 


After the castle, it was time for lunch. I knew I wanted to go back to the Mercado de San Miguel and that's exactly what I did. That also meant another trip to Plaza Mayor which I love! I walked around a bit there and then in the market for food. There was a lot of little tapas things you could buy so I got a piece of toast with burrata, arugula, and balsamic and then went to another place in the market and got a little bowl of paella. It was much better than the one I had before but I still don't think I'm a huge paella fan. I still wanted something else so stopped at a fro-yo place and got some kind of watermelon slush. I think it was just frozen watermelon blended up and it totally hit the spot. Juice Press should start making that! (Side note on watermelon: I saw on IG today that Trader Joes now makes a watermelon juice and I must try it. It's my go-to post run drink!)

The tour of the Prado was after lunch and it was an hour which was just about 15 minutes too long but totally informative. None of the art was familiar to me. Our guide was great and just took us to the important famous paintings of Goya, Greco, Velasquez, Picasso, and even one Michelangelo statue. I could have stayed after the tour but was happening seeing what I needed to so I left and went on my own. I sat down outside the museum and figured out plan. 

My cousin had recommended going to the Temple of Debod and the surrounding park. She had said and I had read there were great views there as well so I decided to walk down Gran Via which I hadn't walked down before and make my way there. It was pretty much a straight shoot and when I got there I walked around a bit, got a Magnum bar, and took some pics. I was starting to have a little chafing sitch happening so I decided I would take the Metro back. I had obviously never taken this one before but looked at the map and figured out all by myself which trains I would need to take. I would have to make a transfer but this system looked very easy to navigate so I knew I could do it. I easily bought my ticket without any help and just followed the signs in the stations, and boom, I was back at the hotel. I was so proud of myself once again. I think my sense of direction and confidence in it has dramatically improved. It makes me feel good that this has been fairly easy for me to make my ways around all these different cities rarely needing to check my map 100 times and walking in circles. Go me!! 

When I got back to the hotel, I had an hour to just relax and do what I needed to before dinner. I organized my suitcase (so therapeutic for me), did some more laundry (so annoying to me), and tried to plan my day for tomorrow (so exciting for me). 

Tonight was the last night with the group so it was out for dinner. Once again, doing a group worked out great for me. I got the transportation, nice hotels, tons of information and fun facts from Toni, tour guides and entry with no waits to the best tourist attractions, some camaraderie and company from the other people, and also A LOT of free time in each city which I loved and appreciated greatly. I spoke with mostly the same people while in the specific tours (California family, mom and daughter from Cali, New Zealand couple, and two older women friends, also from Cali). It was nice to have one final with everyone before going back 100% solo again tomorrow. (I'd say I was about 75% solo on the tour and that was by choice because I love going off on my own.) 

Dinner was probably one of the better meals I've had here. Started with a salad (!!!) with shrimp and avocado and then the main dish was veal with mushroom sauce and you guessed it, potatoes. They sure do love their starches here. And I had dessert for the first time, a neapolitan ice cream cake, and it was also super good. 

After dinner, I walked back to Puerto Del Sol and Plaza Mayor with the family from California and
 the other girl from California. We had a nice time and it was just nice to be with them on the final night. The little girl is just the cutest thing ever and I did spend a lot of time with her goofing around and being my silly self. As I've said before, everyone was super nice to me. I almost felt they felt bad

for me because I was alone. I'm use to that though on the regular since I do so much by myself. It was kind of sad saying goodbye to them, and they offered me a place to stay in LA if I come out. I would most def take them up on it. It was also sad saying goodbye to other girl, who I hung out with quite often and also super nice and mature. When you spend time with people in such close quarters for over a week, you do bond. 

Even though the tour is over, I still have one more full day in Madrid before heading to Prague Thursday. I've seen a majority of the touristy stuff and the shopping area so besides a run in the morning, I'm a little unsure where the day will take me but I'm confident I'll keep busy. AND, I may even go out tomorrow night. I've been aching to do it a bit lately. This is the longest I've gone without drinking in over a month and just kind of miss that social vibe (and beer). I'm supposed to go out with the couple from New Zealand who I also hung out with quite a bit. They seem very down to earth and normal and my cousin gave us some recs on bars so hopefully it will all work out. Otherwise, I fear I will go out like crazy the week I am back in New York; not that there's anything wrong with that either. I just need to pace myself. Anyway, with my last day in Spain tomorrow I want to take it all in and get the most of it! 

1 comment: