Friday, July 3, 2015

From Sunrise to Sunset

Day 2

Today started running (literally) on VERY little sleep. I fell asleep last night a little after nine then was up again around 11 and didn't fall back asleep until almost 2:30 in the morning only to have my alarm go off at 5:10 for my sunrise running tour. I think the lack of sleep was part jet-lag (which I am having a big issue with) and part excitement for today. I guess it goes with the territory and I accept that. 

I got dressed bright and early and hopped in a cab to Plaça Catalunya in the center of the city. I didn't want to take the Metro for my first time that early in the morning. When I got to the Plaça Catalunya I immediately spotted my running guide (Luca) with his backpack and Go Pro ready. It was just me and him for our run which was a nice surprise. (FYI I booked this tour a couple weeks ago and it's called Go!Running Tours Barcelona.) I'm glad it wasn't a group; it gave it a way more personal touch. Doing a running tour is something I had never done before and I was excited to see what it would be like. We immediately got going because I told him I wanted to see the sunrise over the Sea. He ran at a little faster pace than I am use to but that was fine for the push. We first ran down Las Ramblas which was almost empty minus the people coming home from the clubs. I love having some of the most touristy places of big cities virtually to myself on early morning runs. It's a cool feeling. We then made our way past the Christopher Columbus statue and down the the water, which is where I wanted to run so badly! We saw the sunrise over the Mediiterrean Sea and it was beautiful. Although kind of cloudy, I am so glad I got to see it. Throughout the entire run Luca was snapping pics with the GoPro which was cool and although I've never taken a good running picture in my life, maybe one of these will turn out acceptable. (They were all emailed to me to keep!) We made our way past a lot of places I saw on the bus yesterday (Port Olímpic, Port Vell, La Barcenoleta, Olympic Village) and saw a bunch of places I didn't see, like the Zoo, the Cathedral of Barcelona and The Waterfall in Citadel Park which was absolutely beautiful. And without other people around, it makes it that much more awesome. We then made our way around tiny side streets of the city which made me feel like I was back in Italy. It had a very Roman and Venetian feel and was so cool. I never would have navigated that myself. He showed me so much and was very knowledgable. All in all, we covered about 7 miles at probably a 9 minute mile. Fast for me. But good for me. And informative. Win-win. There were picture stops along the way from both him and I and I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. Although expensive, I hate not doing stuff on vacation because of cost (to a certain degree) because who knows when you will be back again. Throughout the entire run I imagined how much my mother would have enjoyed doing it this as well. 


After the run, which ended where it began, I was so thirsty I went into a Starbucks and got an iced tea. It's so expensive here! But it was absolutely refreshing and necessary. I then impressed the hell out of myself and took the Metro back to my hotel. I bought the ticket all by myself (a 10-ride) without asking for help and figured out the right train without even having to ask anyone for directions. I felt like a local. I know living in NYC and knowing that system so well def helped me here with that. It gave me some directional confidence which I can always use since I am pretty hopeless with that stuff, although always improving. 

Side note: The train system here is super easy in my opinion to use because there is fantastic signage everywhere and is pretty dummy-proof. And on be escalators people who are standing a risky stay to their right and let others (such as myself) pass them on the left. Additionally, down by all the trains is a down-to-the-second timer on when the next train is coming. None of this up-to-the-minute BS that I thought was so great in New York. This is legit right here! I love their Metro system. I took it seven (7!!) times today. Boom! 

Anyway, after hydrating and showering, and grabbing breakfast next door (a delish ham and cheese toasted sandwich) I set out on my day. I didn't have anything really specific planned except a
trip back to Park Güell and if had the energy at night to go see the Magic Fountain. 

Last night I purchased tickets to the Monumental zone at Park Güell today for 1:00 because I  wanted to see that part of the park up close and was so irritated about not having it yesterday. I don't want to be here and miss out on something because of stupid tickets and timing so I knew I had to head back. I got 1:00 tickets so I had tons of time to kill. I decided to walk down Avenue Diagonal and see where it took me. After walking over there and around a bit and seeing even more stuff that I saw on the bus yesterday I decided to head on the train to Plaça Catalunya to walk around there and Las Ramblas for a bit before taking the train to the park. I was so happy I did this. After being on the running tour and seeing all of this area on foot this morning, I knew exactly where I was even though none of it was open in the morning, especially La Boqeuria. Holy shit this market was amazing. Fresh fruit, seafood, meat, candy, baked goods, etc... Everywhere. My dad and brother would probably have wet themselves here. (Dad, I know you've been though and probably did just that!) I bought myself a fresh juice and a little Greek spinach roll and walked around, scoping it all out. It was a great scene!! I could have bought so much and may return to do just that. 

After the market, I walked the rest of Las Ramblas to the Christopher Columbus statue for the second time today then back and more around the neighboring area. Then I totally underestimated the time it would take to get to Park Güell and assumed they'd let me in before my ticket time but had about 50 minutes before I was allowed in the Gaudi stuff. I did however, impress myself getting there from the train stop without any turn-arounds because of the bus tour yesterday. That and this morning's run really did help me grasp this city lot better. I have not had to pull out a map one single time. Go me! Seriously, I am utterly impressed with myself and it makes me so happy although I don't want to jinx anything yet. 

Once I got in the actual monumental zone at Park Güell I took it all in. The artwork is truly incredible. All the colors and textures from the tiles is pretty cool. I took a bunch of pictures, naturally, and walked around before heading back to the train. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do next because I've pretty much seen everything I wanted to see (and more) with the  and exception of inside the Sagrada Familia and the Picasso museums, but I have arranged tours in them Sunday so what else was left? Oh yeah, go back the beach. Even though I didn't have proper beach attire on, I figured I'd walk around the Barceloneta area and walk down and stick my feet in the water. And I did just that. (And got delicious patatas fritas with garlic aioli. Yum.) The beach was mobbed. And there were lots of boobies. I mean lots. My brother would once again have wet his pants at this!! There also were quite a few speedos but not nearly as many as I expected, especially with the amounts of people I observed there. Seriously, does no one work here? Maybe they do summer Friday's here too?!?! I took off my shoes and socks and walked down to the water and put my feet in the Meditteranean Sea. It was glorious. So refreshing. I think I am going to make tomorrow a beach day and just relax. I deserve it before getting into a go-go-go routine again. I loved it when I did it in Nice, France two years ago. I am a beach girl and just love a beach no matter where I am so this might have to happen (and hopefully in Portugal too). (Another option was to go back and find out where the Olympic Rings but apparently they aren't there anymore. WTF? I thought Olympic Rings stayed in the location for a long time. Hmmm... Guess that's off the list. Boo. 

After the beach I took the train back to the hotel, grabbed my first ever Magnum ice cream bar (um hello deliciousness), showered, and hand-wash my first round laundry. Ugh. I never feel I can get my stuff clean enough that way and wish that hotel laundry wasn't so damn expensive. Then I just relaxed for a bit and actually took a little nap. I'm running on very little sleep and don't want to get sick or irritable or simply physically exhausted with so much time left in this trip. I still have a ton to do and see. Yyeeeesssss. 

I wanted to head out of my area tonight for dinner and catch the Magic Fountain so I got on the train again and headed over that area for dinner and to see the sunset and the Magic Fountain. I had dinner in the Arenas De Barcelona which apparently use to be a bull fighting stadium and now is a giant mall. On the top floor there is a 360 aerial view of the city. I am a sucker for aerial views and this one did not disappoint. There was a spectacular view of one of the favorite things I saw yesterday, the MNAC as well as a "suicide circle" area. (There also happened to be a giant Harley Davidson convention/ festival there too. Bizarre.) I didn't know the quality of these restaurants here but with a view of the impending sunset, I really didn't care much. I did two laps and looked at all the menus and settled on one of the places (Mussol) that had Spanish food. I passed Italian and Japanese but think I went with traditional tapas tonight (even though totally craving a burger already. I actually saw a place by the beach today I may go back to tomorrow for that). I ordered cannelloni (amazing (Dad, you would have loved it) but suuuuper rich) as well as a spinach and goat cheese salad and tomato toast with an absolutely heavenly (I could bathe in it) garlic mayo. And of course a water, which of course cost more than the wine or sangria and of course had no ice. Oh Europe, you so silly. (And PS, all the eating I didn't do yesterday, I sure made up for today.)

After dinner and seeing the sunset up on the top of the Arenas (which wasn't super spectacular because it was blocked a bit by the mountains), I walked over to the Magic Fountain for their special colored light show. I had read it was a must-see and goes every evening from 9-11 pm. It was pretty cool to see and was jam-packed. Like sooo many people. I don't know if it was from the Harley Davidson Festival or what, but there was a sea of humanity there. But I'm happy I saw it. The water went different heights and changed color. Pretty enjoyable for me to "oooooh" and "ahhhhh" at for about two minutes and then I had seen enough so I left and headed back to the hotel. 

Today was another fantastic full day. I got to see the sun rise and set beautifully. (Gosh, I love that so much.) After getting my bearings on way out after my run, I really felt like I knew what I was doing and felt like a local. Doing the whole train things to am actually destination and knowing where I was heading really made me feel like I've lived here for a while. There were a few moments today where I had to remind myself that yes, I was in Barcelona on this amazing adventure and not in NYC. How about that, huh? That's how comfortable I felt. My, what 24 hours and one bus and one run tour can do for a person! This is most definitely a city I could see myself living in. For sure. 

Tomorrow is going to be a little more low key as far as activity; at least that's the plan. Paired with what will hopefully (and finally) be a solid night's sleep (with the help of Tylenol PM) this will hopefully get rid of this jet-lag; not like I'm really letting it stop me. I'm out here getting at Barcelona and loving every second of it! Bueno. 

No comments:

Post a Comment