Saturday, July 4, 2015

Life's a Beach

Day 3

After finally getting some decent sleep last night, I was going to use today as a "chill" day. I fell asleep a little after midnight last night, woke up wide awake around 4 and finally fell back asleep at 5:30 to finally wake up at 10:00 to my alarm. I probably could have kept sleeping if not for that alarm but I didn't want to waste a day, even if it is a relaxing day. I never sleep that late on vacation (or in my real life) but I think my body needed it. I laid in bed for about a half hour then promptly got dressed, inhaled a Kind bar and headed out to the beach. Luckily, to my surprise actually, I had two drawstring backpacks in my suitcase that I didn't know we're in there but were perfect to take with me to the beach. I didn't have to be back for anything all day until welcome drinks at seven at my hotel. I actually got see who is going to be in my tour group for the next nine days today. (More on that later.) I have had mixed feelings about being in a group (just like last time) but it's not for a long time and I don't have to worry about transportation to all the other cities in Spain I wanted to see, arranging hotels there, and organizing separate private tours. 

I took the train directly to the beach and claimed my spot in the sand. I was hoping it wouldn't be as crowded as it was yesterday but no luck, it is the weekend after all. The beach is very nice, clean, and free. And easily accessible as well. I wish this was the case in NYC, but no such luck. Blah. As I was on the beach I heard some American wish another a happy Fourth of July and I totally had forgotten today was the fourth because it's clearly not a holiday here. But I do guess it was only fitting I hit the beach today because, 'Merica. 

I stayed at the beach for five hours and loved every moment of it. I went in the sea a few times too to cool off. The sand there isn't like ours, but more rocky and not as grainy, but the water was perfect temperature. Surprisingly I wasn't that hungry while there but so thirsty so I did make a little trip to the mercado and pick up a water and another Magnum, because you know, vacation. And that was lunch. When I finally left at 5:00 (I def could have stayed longer), I headed back to the hotel to shower and relax a little more. The sun takes a lot out of me even if I'm just sitting there doing nothing. Then it was time to head down to lobby to see who I would be spending the next nine days with. 

There are apparently 36 people in our group and there were probably about 25 at dinner (a few hadn't arrived yet). Everyone speaks English and from what it seems there may actually be a few Americans, but hard to tell. I am the only solo traveler and it's all older couples, one family with younger kids, and what looks to be either a set of parents with a college-aged girl or a college-aged girl with her mom. I could be totally wrong but who knows. The couples at my table were from Trinidad and Tobago, The UK and South Africa. This is already more of a geographical mix than last time. We are not together for that long of a time period so I'm sure it will all be fine. Then I get back to traveling with me, myself, and I. 

Dinner was pretty good. We started with cold gazpacho, then had potatoes, and some Iberian ham with toast. All very Spanish. This was followed by chicken with veggies and then chocolate cake. Everything but the cake was quite enjoyable. I am not a huge sweets person so I passed on it. I would have preferred more ham and bread!! Meat and carbs baby!! 

One issue that did come up at dinner by the tour guide that really irritated me was that all European museums are closed to groups on the first Sunday of every month because they are free to individuals. That means that instead of going to the Picasso museum tomorrow morning, the group would be going to Park Güell. I have now been there twice and although beautiful, I have zero desire to go back. Had I known this was the case, I would have gone the last three days which really annoyed me. I did however, ask our tour guide (Toni) if I could skip the group trip to Park Güell and meet them at Sagrada Familia and he said that's totally fine. Instead of going to the park with the group, I will get in line at the Picasso museum and try to get in and then meet them later. Fingers crossed the timing works out because that and Sagrada Familia are the only two tourist attractions I saved for tomorrow and I want to see both badly. I also asked him the ever important question: is there WiFi on the bus? He said there was but it wasn't great but that each hotel does have free WiFi. That better be correct or I will g through withdrawals. I have been okay during the day without WiFi while walking around (although I usually fine it somewhere if lucky) but I like knowing I will have it at least once a day. 

Today was probably the tamest day I'll have all trip and that's okay. I deserve a day to just enjoy my surroundings and relax at the same time. The beach was amazing and I hope to have another chance to hit one up in Portugal. Until then, it looks like mainland places for me and with this heat, I just need to keep hydrated. Off to drink more water. Buenos noches amigos y amigas. Hasta mañana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment