Thursday, July 23, 2015

A few more things...

I have now been back In NYC for a couple days after yet another incredible European trip. Traveling really fills with me with so much happiness. It brings me such joy to be able to see new things and experience different cultures. It's always eye-opening and simply unforgettable. 

Many of you have kept up with this blog (and my IG and FB) over the course of #RayRaysEuroVacay2 which I really appreciate, so thank you for that. I love talking about what I've seen and done and am happy to (over)share everything. There is so much to write about each day that sometimes, believe it or not, I don't cover everything happening! Quite a few people have asked me questions about my trip about things I didn't really write about or discuss here. After all was said and done, I guess they are still important too so I thought I'd address them here; if not for you, but for me too. Because after all, as I've said any times before, this blog is mostly for me for the memories, to vent, and get some of my thoughts out and put them from keyboard to blog post. 

1) How was your stomach? Thankfully, (actually very thankfully, knock on wood) my stomach cooperated the entire trip. I had received my Remicade treatment two days before I left and was actually more concerned about catching a cold from being run down from going out so much the last couple weeks and from flying. (The Remicade often lowers my immunity and I am more prone to colds right after.) Luckily that didn't happen. I was prepared for anything too, carrying my own pharmacy of tums, gas-x (aka my best friend), Imodium, Tylenol, Benedryl, Tylenol PM, and Juice Press ginger suckers with me. One can never be too careful. I never really ate anything out of the ordinary or weird there that would upset my stomach and I don't want to jinx myself, but I am now going almost 15 months flare free!! Woohoo.

2) Is hard being alone all the time? Not really. I consider myself a unique traveler because of the fast paced traveling I do. Not many people actually enjoy traveling that way or can keep up. My mother is my essential travel companion (she is prob the reason why I travel the way I do) because we do it the same way. I always have an agenda and destination each day that I like to accomplish and almost always see and do more than planned. During the days I like to get up early, get in my run, and just set off with my map and list of things to see and do and go, go, go until I can't anymore. I get though museums fast and efficiently and like to wander a bit around towns just taking it all in. I don't like to waste that much time sitting down for meals, unless maybe dinner (but usually I'm too tired and/or don't want to shower and get dressed again so I'll just pick something up on my way back to the hotel). As someone who loves food as much as I do, it is actually not a huge priority for me on these trips.

With all these things considered, it would be nice to experience and appreciate the things I see with someone. This is especially crucial at night. This is when I tend to get the loneliest, but to be honest, this is no different than when I'm at home, so it doesn't really affect me on vacations that much because as pathetic as it is, I am used to it. Loneliness is something that I haven't necessarily accepted, but it has become such a constant in my life that I am used to it. In New York when something really good or really bad happens I have no one really to share it with besides my parents and the same goes on my trips. Around night time or time when winding down, that's when I miss companionship. It's hard on such an amazing trip like this when I'm just oozing happiness and smiles and have no one to share it with and it's hard at home when things go well or shitty. So, no it's not hard being alone, but it would be nice to have a travel POC.

3) Did you meet any cool people? I actually met a cool couple from New Zealand that I hung out with a bunch. They were closest in age to me and we seemed to have a lot in common. We ate and walked around and hung out a bit. I even went out with them in Madrid (the only night I went out or drank on the entire trip.) Other than them, I'd say everyone else I met would just fall in the "super nice, but I wouldn't normally hang out with you" category. There is obviously nothing wrong with falling into this category as I still had a fantastic time. There was a girl that just graduated high school that I hung out with a few times and we had fun walking around and exploring a bit as well. I also had my little 7-year-old shadow from California who I entertained and chatted with. She was so adorable and funny. Because I am not around younger kids often, I forgot how funny and easily entertained they are. This little girl thought I was the funniest person ever, which of course only encouraged me to be goofier. There is still definitely a little girl hiding in this independent 33 (and a half) year old. 

4) Did you hook up with any Euro dudes? Nope. No opportunities and no desire. Because I was alone in a foreign country, I didn't want to drink alone at bar. I know myself and I'm not just going to have a drink or two because it just makes me buzzed (which is a feeling I hate and frankly, a waste of calories for me) and makes me want more. And if I were to drink more, I'd get drunk and then things could take a bit of a wild turn to who knows what. I don't need Spanish syphilis or anything stolen or worse happen while here. Sure it would make for a great story but it's not worth the risks to me. Furthermore, I didn't see that many good-looking guys in any of the cities. Maybe looking wasn't my top priority because I knew nothing would come from it, but no one really caught my eye there. Don't worry, I'll make up for it the rest of the summer here. Or maybe I have already gotten started?!?!

5) Where are you going to go next summer? I worked my ass off this year to pay for this trip and had such a great time that I can't imagine not going back to Europe again next summer. My number one destination for #RayRaysEuroVacay3 would be Greece. Hopefully everything with their economy will settle down and it will all work out. Also on my travel bucket list is: the Amalfi Coast, South Africa, Copenhagen, Iceland, Australia and New Zealand, Thailand, China...well, I could really keep going here. But yeah, Greece would be my ideal choice for next summer with probably another country or two that are close to there tacked on! Suggestions are always welcome.

Even though next summer is still a far while from now, I have quite the travel bug still so decided to book myself a trip to Boston in two weeks. I had been wanting to go back and as long as I have the time, I am going to go. Why not? Right? Summer me is making it happen and if it makes me happy and I can do it, I am going to!

No comments:

Post a Comment