Sunday, July 5, 2015

More Garlic Mayo!!

Day 4


Today my tour officially began, but before all that, I decided that I would run one more time in Barcelona. I set my alarm for 6:40 and was out in the street by 7:00. I just did a down and back on Ave. Diagonal and my first two miles were fast; under 9:00 minutes each. Then my legs really started feeling it and the last two were horrible but I got in my planned four. Since I will most likely missing my long training runs while here, it's important I get my short ones in if I can. Plus I like being out in the city before it wakes. One little surprise I didn't expect this morning was the site of...wait for it...a dick!!! Ahhhhh. That's right, I saw a Spanish penis. As I was running back the hotel, I passed a few people on the road, mostly others running or going for a walk. I then passed and a young man with a backpack. His fly was wide open and his penis was just flopping in and out of it. I looked in horror and then began giggling as I ran. WTF? I could not believe what I just saw. Was he airing that sucker out? Did he not feel the breeze on his weiner? Was that on purpose? OMG. I have seen few homeless or crazy people here so I don't know what the deal was with that guy, but it definitely was a surprise ending to my run. Eeeek. 

After my run, I quickly showered and headed down to breakfast. There was a good spread and they even had champagne as well as fresh peach juice for bellinis and orange juice  for mimosas. So fancy. There was also a full salad bar. Odd. I passed on all of that but got tons of fresh fruit, probably one of the best croissants I've ever had and some not good eggs and bacon. European bacon is not American bacon and yet I try it every time and am disappointed. 

Since the group was going to Park Güell this morning and I have been there twice, I did not join them so I had some more time alone. I took the train to the Picasso Museum with hopes the line wouldn't be that awful since I had to be at Sagrada Familia at 11:15 to meet the group. It took me forever to find the museum in the winding side streets. Thankfully my Spanish is good enough to get directions (which I asked for from like 4 different people who luckily all also spoke English). I had heard this museum was hard to find and it was. This was the first time I had an issue with finding something while here. When I finally found the museum, the line wasn't that bad and it was moving. I was originally going to grab a ticket for later and just come back but asked the woman how long it would take to get through the museum. She told me an hour and I knew that for me, that meant like 20-30 minutes. Well, I got through it once in ten minutes. Granted I rushed a bit because wasn't sure how big it was, but with only 13 rooms, I finished super fast. Because I knew I rushed and still had time, I went through it again. And you know what, art museums really aren't my thing. I have known that already but had to see this one for myself. There were a few cool paintings ( I even was able to sneak two pictures before getting yelled at) but after a while, I got the feeling of "hey, I could make that." I know Picasso is the man and all, and I do love his sculptures, but the paintings don't interest me all that much. I wish I appreciated art more but was glad this visit cost me nothing (first Sunday of the month is free) and I think the group was honestly better off seeing Park Güell. 

After the museum, I found a closer Metro stop and just took that with a different transfer to Sagrada Familia. I am confident with my train navigating more than my finding my way back to the original point where I started so I figured I'd just be early to meet up with the group. And I had to buy one more metro ride since I used up my ten-ride already. Damn, I'm so cosmopolitan! 

I got to Sagrada Familia with plenty of time to spare to walked around he entire thing to get pictures from all angles and finally met up with the group. We received a guided tour of the church and it was absolutely gorgeous. The stained glass and all the detail everywhere was spectacular. On top of not being an art museum person, I am not so much a church person, but this one was gorge. From there, we got on the bus (which was super nice btw) and drove down Passeig de Gracia. I would compare it to Fifth Avenue in NYC or the magnificent mile in Chicago with flagship designer stores and stuff. We passed all the other Gaudi buildings I saw on my first day but just drove past them. I am so glad I saw them up close and personal when I hopped off the hop-on, hop-off bus. However, I did get more information on the city and these buildings. We then stopped at Plaça Catalunya to get off the bus and tour the Gothic area. I had also been here during my run tour but now had a better idea where I actually was. I saw the Cathedral again as well as the Kings Square then I went off on my own. I had the rest of the afternoon to myself until dinner at 6. I walked around a bit and stopped in a cleverly named candy shop called Happy Pills. You pick a size of a pill bottle and fill it any candy you want. How could I pass that up? I don't need happy pills right now since I'm traveling (but I'll surely eat the candy) but the concept (and the candy) did make me happy. 

I made my way back to Las Ramblas and settled on a tapas restaurant for lunch. I had a two mini ham and cheese croquettes and patatas bravas which my dad told me I had to get out here. The garlic mayo on them was of course delish (I don't know if I've met a garlic mayo I didn't like) but the paprika sauce was suuuuper spicy. My lips were on fire and I just pray that it doesn't burn coming out later. Ouch. Then returned to walking around Las Ramblas and made my way over the bridge down by the cruise ships and there is a giant mall over there that was cool. There certainly are an excess of Desigual, Zara, and H&M's here. And also Nike stores. And I must say as I haven't stepped foot in any of the clothing stores because they have them in NYC, I have gone in almost every Nike store because I just love Nike. I almost bought a pair of shoes and leggings over here and then realized I was being silly. I have plenty of each of those and I am not going to buy them in Euros when I can just get them at home for a little bit less. I also popped into a Spanish grocery store because I was curious. My brother would have loved that too. Lots of good looking foodstuffs. I really wanted a cold water and there was none. I have been perpetually thirsty this trip and can't seem to have too much water. I know part of it is the heat wave and lots of walking but I've spent a ridiculous amount of money in beverages so far this trip. I noticed here in Europe, they are totally fine with luke warm beverages. I got a Powerade earlier that was warm and a lot of times the water isn't that cold when bought. It's odd to me. Grrrr... And let me add the fact that you can't find any zero calorie drinks anywhere. I had this issue last time I was in Europe and it annoyed me so much. I hate drinking my calories unless they are getting me drunk, and sometimes even with that I have a difficult time accepting it. #issues. 

Anyway, around 3:30 I decided to head back to the hotel to do some laundry and rest up before dinner. I wanted to lay down if possible since I once again didn't sleep well last night. I keep waking up between 12-1 and not being able to fall asleep again for like two hours. Ugh. But thankfully I was actually able to take a quick catnap. Thankfully I set my alarm to get up for dinner or else I probably would have missed it. 

At 6:00 I went down to the lobby to meet the group to head up to Montjuic (Mountain of the Jews) and then dinner. On the way there we drove past Arenas as well as the MNAC. I am so glad I went to those on my own the other day as they had some of my favorite views. I did find out that MNAC used to be the Royal Palace and the 4 columns down the many stairs represent the four bars in the Catalan flag. Interesting. Then it was up the mountain with a quick stop at Olympic Stadium which I had been too but the view was much better today. I'm still bitter the rings aren't there anymore. We stopped at the top of the mountain for a fantastic aerial view of the city. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'm a sucker for an aerial view of a gorgeous city and this didn't disappoint. You could see the Sagrada Familia and the dildo shaped building really well. I only wish I had had a glass of champs (or sangria I suppose) in my hand to hold out and photograph with that background. It would have made an awesome shot. (Similar to my Tuscan one for two years ago. Ahhhh.) 

The restaurant we went to for dinner was called The Maritime and was right on the water. It was actually next to the mall where I had gone to earlier today. Dinner was delicious and began with tapas of salad with eggs and tuna, fish croquettes, toast with tomato spread, fried calamari, and French fries with a runny egg and Iberian ham. Yum, yum, and yum. I could have been good with that but then we had our main course. I had steak and potatoes for dinner which was also good and I tried an apple tart for dessert but didn't like it. Since I am the only individual in my group, I sat with a family from California who have their three girls with them, aged 7,15, 19. I chatted with the older girls and the mom most of the time and they are all super nice. The view was beautiful and we were able to catch the start of sunset as we were leaving the restaurant. Then it was back to the hotel for the night. I had wanted to go out and watch the World Cup Final but didn't have anyone to go with and decided that although I felt comfortable enough in the city to do so, I'd just stay in. 

Tomorrow we are off bright and early to Valencia. I'll miss Barcelona. It is definitely added with London and Vancouver to the list of my favorites and I hope I can return someday. Over the course of the last four days, these are some random things I have learned about Barcelona:

- It's gorgeous (I'm sure I'll say that about most of the other cities I visit though. I am a sucker for a big city with palm trees, the beach, and beautiful architecture.)
- They have an excellent public transportation system. 
- They love their motorbikes. They are everywhere!! 
- I don't know if this is Spanish people in general, but definitely here, but so many of them look American and then open their mouths and they are speaking fluent, native Spanish. It surprised me many times! In other European countries I have visited, the Europeans looked Euro either in the face and/or wardrobe (i.e. manpris, murses, mandals). 
- People love rolling their own cigarettes here. 

I can't believe that I loved my first city of this trip so much and can't wait to see what else is to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip!! Water is so expensive in Europe!! Wine is cheaper!

    ReplyDelete