Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bidets and Prince Alberts make me giggle

DAY 2


After only like five and a half hours of sleep after a full day of travel yesterday, I woke up actually ready to go take on London this morning. Alone. Me and my trusty map headed out. I was oozing with a tourist vibe. Map in one hand, phone and camera in the other. Whatever. I should have just gone all out and wore socks and sandals and a fanny pack, but I do have some fashion standards when traveling. Some. I am going to be in pics after all. 

I decided to write today's blog a little differently since I had a lot to say and really can't say all I want to about each place and experience because I covered so much ground and wanted to give a semi- abbreviated version. This would go on forever if that wasn't the case. So here it goes...


Things I saw today:
-Leicester Square (My hotel location for yesterday and today)
-Trafalgar Square
-Ben Franklin House
-National Portrait Gallery
-Household Cavalry Museum
-10 Downing Street
-Big Ben
-Parliament
-St. Paul's Cathedral (Will and Kate got married there.)
-Tate Museum
-Shakespeare's Globe Theater
-Tower Bridge (Thought this was so freaking cool and imagined how awesome it would have been during the Olympics this past summer with the rings hanging from it.)
-London Tower
-The Shard (Tehehe...sounds like shart!)
-London Bridge (nothing really to see here unless I totally missed whatever was special.)
-Harrod's (was like the Flagship Bloomies in NYC, but even more upscale. Therefore I could afford nothing.) 
-Harvey Nichols
-Hyde Park (just the entrance)
-Wellington Arch
-Buckingham Palace 
-Picadilly Circus
-Covent Garden

***I did not go in any of the museums but may go back to London Tower to see all the jewels in the next two days or on the last day of my trip when I am back here. 

Things I did today:
-The London Eye. This really had some awesome 360 views! 
-Used a public bathroom (clean and free).  I had to wake  up the sleeping attendant (mind you it was 11:30 am) to figure out how to use the door. She was less than thrilled to assist the stupid American who had to pee. 
- Asked a ton (a ton!) of random strangers directions or info.
- Ate lunch on-the-go. Grabbed my baguette sandwich from EAT and was on my merry way. I fit in oh-so-well. Why waste time sitting down when there was so much to do and 
see?!?!?
- Took the Tube by myself. Ummm, confusing. I still think NYC is the easiest to navigate and I've briefly done the L in Chicago, the T in Boston, and the Metro in DC. But I may be biased on that front.
-Got fish and chips for dinner at a pub. They were decent. More grease in a meal than I am use to, but when in Rome... Even had mashed peas too. So British. And yes, I used malt vinegar on my fries too. Yum. (My brother and I actually use to do that back in the day at Boardwalk Fries. Anyone remember that mall food court mainstay??)
-Went into a grocery store (Tesco). I purchased some little locally made snacks one can't find in the states. Was curious. I also LOVED all the mini alcohol choices they had right by the check-out at the store. It was all for easy on-the-go drinking. And can someone please tell me what exactly Pimm's is? I know it's British and its red, but what kind of liquor is it?

Things I noticed today/learned so far:
-Bidets make me giggle. I mean, c'mon, they are a special second toilet type that cleans your tushie. I even tried the one in my room but honestly couldn't figure out how to use it. Ha!
-I love mini hotel toiletries!! Let me just say: Love. Shampoo, lotion, shower caps, etc... The fun never ends. I want to take them all!!
- Being a tourist kinda sucks but is also awesome at the same time. I hate being in the huge crowds of other tourists but being able to see all these things I have read about and seen in TV/movies is incredible. This experience however will not help me tolerate the slow walking, stop all of a sudden tourists in NYC that annoy the crap out of me. Sorry. 
- I love walking around and am good and efficient at it. (Folks, if there are no cars, you CAN still cross the street! You don't need to wait for the green man.) 
-There are a ton of bikers. It's big here just like in NYC. There is even a bike share program run by Barclays that is just like CitiBike.
- I don't mind asking for directions. At all. No shame. Soooo thankful everyone speaks English here. 
-London has "you are here maps" everywhere. These are awesome for the directionally impaired, like myself. 
-Not gonna lie, I miss 3G access on my phone! 
- Is it wrong to want to eat shake shack here? It just opened four days ago and the line was ridiculous. (The line formFive guys was also suuuuper long.) I guess these Brits know a good burger when they see it and are willing to wait. 
-This city seems like a running city. Especially along the Thames River. It makes me want to run the London Marathon. 
- Please tell me why people eat at TGI Fridays while here? It's prob the same reason they do in NYC. They don't know any better and are comfortable there? But there are just so many other places to explore and try, it blows my mind. 
- I should have worn a pedometer! I covered a lot of ground today! 
- London bankers look a lot like NYC bankers. A whole bunch of button downs. I felt very at home but was consistently surprised each time they spoke and had a British accent. It's like I know they are going to have it, but am still genuinely surprised each time. 
-When I see British things with the name Albert I laugh. It automatically makes me think of a Prince Albert. Yes, I am immature and don't care. (And if you don't know what it is, google it...or not. Warning, inappropriate content ahead if you do.) 
-The streets here are all poorly labeled! Signs are not on the street but on like corners of buildings. Weird and annoying. 
-Using foreign money is like using Monopoly money. It just seems fake. Pounds, Schmounds, it's like I am paying with fancy paper or toy coins. 
-It seems there are waaay more dudes (or shall I say blokes?) in this city than women. Not complaining, but haven't seen anyone that gorge.
-Apparently there is no open container law here. Anyone know? But what I really found interesting was that people drink outside the bars with their pints. Like people are literally spilling into the sidewalks and even streets. It seems like its happy hour on a gorgeous Friday, everyday. Once again, not complaining. Wish I had a drinking buddy out here though.

I walked many-a-miles today and saw a ton of sites. I also took an obscene amount of pictures so far. I have not crossed off all the things on my London list yet but hope to in the next two days or on my last day, but I was off to a very rapid, efficient start. I am hoping when I finally go home and download them all to my computer, these blogs will help me remember all I saw if need be. I can't wait to make myself a photo-share book from this trip! It's going to be great!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment