Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Here We Go...


DAY 1

So here we go... My European summer vacation has officially begun. Deep breaths. I have such a mixture of excitement and nervousness, but am as ready as I am going to be. I'm sure I am overpacked (I have to have options, naturally!) and over prepared (do you not know me?)  but hey, that's par for the course.

Although I have traveled on my own before to Chicago and Florida (is that really it?), I have not flown internationally by myself.  I have been to Mexico with my parents on numerous occasions, Israel with my brother, and Mexico with friends, but never just me leaving the country. It just feels so grown up. Look at me now! The whole thing with filling out the customs forms and going through customs solo made me want my mom and dad.  But I survived. Being so damn far away and alone immersed in so many different cultures for so long is a little overwhelming, but I know I can handle it. You'd think being so far from my family and essentially being alone in New York for all these years would make me a bit used to it, but nope. This is totally different for me and I know it will be a tremendous learning process in so many different ways. 

This was also the second longest flight of my life. My first was to Israel (14 hours there and 12 back) so this made flying to London seem like cake, but it's still long for this ADD girl. London is the first stop of my journey of eight countries in 24 days. The six hour and 45 minute flight wasn't so awful. (I didn't even get too bad of that bizarre airplane gas we all get. (Don't play dumb, you know what I'm talking about!) And I only had to pee twice. I am sure you were all dying to know that super important information. The food was decent and I watched three (yup three!!) movies and a TV show on my individual touch screen TV. I saw Argo (pretty good), This is 40 (blah), Admissions (snooze), and even an episode of How I Met Your Mother (blah). Virgin Atlantic was a great way to go. It was a little odd though with the Stepford Wives-type stewardesses with their British accents. But they were great. I did get a little nervous when the little boy next to me took out his barf bag and started gagging while my lunch platter was in front of me. Thankfully his mother got him to the bathroom and then to another seat. I had this image of him projectile vomiting on me and was obviously super glad that didn't happen. Phew. 

 I left NYC at 7:30 am and landed at 7:45 pm London time at Heathrow. It was odd not immediately reaching for my phone after landing to tell the parentals "the eagle has landed" as we nerdily always do. Its going to be weird the whole trip not using my phone all the time. But I do think its a good thing. Kind of. Talk to me in five days and we shall see where I stand on this issue. 

With the long flight, customs, ride to my hotel, and big time difference, the whole day was pretty much used up. It was so strange walking outside the airport to no taxi line at all. In NYC, there is always a line. Toto, I am not in Kansas anymore! It took the lady four cabs before finding one that took a credit card. (I don't want to use all my cash on a cab and my suitcase is too big to lug on the Tube, especially for my first time.) When I did get in the cab, I had forgotten the driver is on the opposite side than in the US. Silly me!  And boy was that cab ride expensive. I then checked into the hotel (my first time ever staying in a hotel alone...also SO grown up!), got situated and decided to check out the London scene a bit. The area I am in seems like the London version of Times Square. I got some fresh air, stretched my legs, and got some food. All very important. Really wanted fish and chips but its just too heavy to eat so late so got some good ole Pret A Manger. Yum. Fish and chips is most def on the agenda tomorrow though. 

After walking around a bit, seeing some stuff in the cab, and looking at some maps, I am overwhelmed. This city looks big and there is just so much I want to see. I am concerned I won't get to do and see it all. I hope I do and probably have more time than I realize so I need to relax. (I just wish directions and reading maps weren't such weaknesses of mine. I am horrible at it. Embarrassingly bad. Like will-walk-in-circles bad. But whatever, I am just going to do my best and take advantage of just being here and in the moment.) 

On a very positive note, the hotel I was at for these two nights has free wi-fi for me to blog (duh) and check my social media (double duh). I can't assume this will be the case from now on but as far as day one goes, it looks to be a solid start. I still can't believe I am here and doing this trip. YOLO, right? Someone pinch me. (Perhaps I'll find a cute British guy with good teeth to do just that...and more. I kid, I kid.)  I have tomorrow on my own to explore London and then meet up with my tour group on day three. From there I am sure I will have plenty of descriptors about the people I will spending the next three weeks with and keeping my fingers crossed there are cute guys and/or cool girls to hang with. Or at the very least, non-annoying people. Fingers crossed. But seriously, it should be great. 

Here I come Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, France, and back to London for one extra day. Woweee. This is going to be amazing. Stay tuned and hopefully I can update again soon and frequently. (Those that know me personally, I will try to Instagram (#rayrayseurovacay. Yes I made my own hashtag for this trip) and Facebook particularly cool/famous sites if possible.)  Well folks, it seems day one is in the books. Crazy. (Now let's hope I can fall asleep tonight and not be jetlagged the next few days.) So once again, here we go... Europe, I hope you can handle me!!

2 comments:

  1. airplane gas.


    (yes, that's the only thing I took away from this post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! Too bad I didn't really have more of it on the flight or I would have more to say about it! What is it with the air pressure in the plane that causes it anyway?!?!

    ReplyDelete