Friday, July 26, 2013

Under the Tuscan Sun

DAY 17

Today is one of the days I was most excited about since the start of this trip. Tuscany. All I could think about was the movie Under the Tuscan Sun and how I wanted to see that beautiful countryside and eat that delicious food.

I slept a full eight hours last night which was the most sleep I have gotten all trip. For breakfast this morn there was fresh ricotta cheese. I ate it plain and it was so good! A great start to the day. Some fuel in this engine. Then it was on to bus on our way to the hilltop Tuscan town of San Gimignano. On our way there we stopped at a viewpoint of the Florentine skyline called Piazzale Michelangelo. As I've previously stated, I am a sucker for an aerial view and this didn't disappoint. It was really clear out and I could see all the major sites of Florence from up there. Stunning. Then it was off to San Gimignano. 

San Gimignano is often called the Manhattan of the country because of its towers that dominate the skyline. The town was quaint, quiet, and gorgeous. Now I can see why, in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun, Francis stopped the bus and got out to buy a house on the Tuscan countryside. Anyways, we had two hours of free time so I once again, climbed the bell tower of town (the third town bell tower I have been up this trip) and got an awesome aerial view of the Tuscan hills. Incredible. Straight out of a movie. At about 90 degrees outside, by the time I reached the top I was sweating like a beast. So attractive. And feminine. Arms, legs, and face just dripping. Ugh! When we got down, I...wait for it... got gelato (shocking!!) at a place in town that is supposed to have the best gelato ever. I was skeptical since every place claims to have to best, but this place was legit. I got three flavors: pear, peach, and banana. Oh. My. God. It was the best I've had so far. I could have eaten a tub of it. For the rest of the time in town, I wandered from shop to shop and just dilly-dallied/explored a bit. Beautiful town. 

From San Gim, as the locals call it, we headed to a restaurant a few towns over called Montebuoni. Andi knows the chef and he not only gave us a cooking demo of risotto, he made us a delicious four course Tuscan lunch. We were welcomed with an apertif. Don't mind if I do. Three glasses of prosecco later (for me), we had our four course Tuscan meal. It started with three different salamis and three different crostini (mushroom, chicken liver, and cheese). Then it was the primo course with pasta, risotto, and veggies. Secondi was the mixed grill of pork, sausage, rabbit, and chicken. Dessert was fruit with gelato and then biscotti with a liqeur. And lots and lots of wine in between. Lots. Overall, a simply amazing meal. Everything was super authentic and delicious. Not to mention that the restaurant was overlooking the Tuscan countryside. Gorgeous. It was a very memorable experience. 

A little drunk on the way back into Florence, Jenny and I decided to head back into town when the bus offered to drop some people off closer to the center of town instead of the hotel. We walked around and shopped a bit and then walked back to hotel. But not before getting another drink to go on the way. No open container laws here in Italy, or any of these European countries it seems. I can get on board with that.  I came back, showered, and washed today's outfit. I couldn't bare to let it sit after all the sweating I did in it. Ick. Then I laid down a bit and it was pretty much over for me for the night. Even though we had the evening to ourselves, I just stayed at the hotel. I had originally wanted to keep drinking and hit the town, but once I showered and relaxed, I was so exhausted, dehydrated, and perhaps getting a slight hangover from lunch, I knew I was in for the night. I joined some people at the hotel bar for a bit and then headed up to my room. The earliest I have headed up all trip. After all, We have a big day tomorrow. Another one I can't wait for! We will cover three countries in one day! Italy, Monaco, and France. We are headed to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Monte Carlo, and finally Nice. Yyyyeeeessss. Now I just need to figure out a pose for the tower tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment