Sunday, July 21, 2013

But it's On Water. Water.

DAY 12

Off to Italy we go. I think Italy is the country I was most excited about from the start. Mostly for the food (have we met before?) but also for the sites and sounds. We were up bright and early (when are we not?) for our long drive to Venice. Almost the entire day today was a travel day. It was by far the most time spent on the bus thus far. And by far the most I have ever napped before. 

About an hour into the drive we stopped in the small Austrian town of Kindberg. This town is apparently known for their may poles. I am not totally clear on what that means because I was dozing in and out, but I think I caught it had to do with fertility and dancing around a pole to get pregnant. Not quite sure though. I totally just could have made that up. Because it was like nine in the morning on a Sunday, the town was pretty dead. I used the free bathrooms twice, and walked around the very small area before just sitting down at a cafe and taking in the view. Then we hit the road again for almost two more hours before we made our lunch stop near the Austrian border. I refrained from Burger King again and got some of the local food. It was meh but the scenery over Worthsee, a gorgeous blue lake with the mountains in their background, enhanced the experience. It was the best comfort stop view I've ever seen. And, wait for it, it was FREE to pee at this comfort stop. Such a treat. Then back on the road over the Italian border for another few hours, some more napping, and another comfort stop. And another free bathroom. Then more driving. Seeing a pattern here? 

Finally, we arrived at the boats to take us to Venice. The bus obviously stayed off the island so we had to take water taxis in. Our hotel was on the main island and used to be a convent. That was quite obvious when we got to the rooms. They were very small and simple and I could easily see how a nun lived there. Also, yet again, I had a bidet! Woohoo. Perhaps I will give this one a try. We had about an hour and a half to explore before dinner. Jenny and I set out on this labyrinth of a city and boy, it's fucking confusing. Beautiful yes, but also beyond confusing. Within like three minutes of our walk, we literally missed just getting dumped on by water from someone dumping a bucket out their window. Total Italy right there ladies and gents. That would have been traumatic for me. But she missed. Thank god. We did pretty well direction and map reading wise (and by we, I mean her) until trying to get back to the hotel. We had to ask three different locals how to get back and did so with three minutes to spare, and sweating. This made me ultra nervous for my solo time tomorrow but I am going to try and not to veer off so much and just stay within where I get dropped off. Otherwise, I will panic. In case I haven't mentioned it a hundred times before, I am direction and map-reading impaired. 

Dinner was at a nearby restaurant and was a pre-selected meal of italian deli meats, then beef, veggies, and potatoes, and then panna cotta. All was pretty good but had I been in my own I would have most def have gotten pasta or pizza my first night for dinner followed by tiramisu and/or gelato. I have high hopes here food wise. High hopes!  We are in Italy for a few days so I have time to get it all in. After dinner, we had a private taxi tour around the canals, including the Grand Canal, and through the city. It is absolutely amazing to me how this whole city is on water. Engineering wise, I just don't get it! How do the building still stand? They are on water. (But I also don't get how bridges are built in water either. I guess I'll leave all that to the professionals.) The taxi drove us under the famous Rialto Bridge and then dropped us off right by St. Marks Square. It was so cool to be right in the center of it all and it wasn't too crowded. Tomorrow during the day will be a different story I'm sure. We then sat down at a cafe and got some drinks. Besides Jenny, I have been hanging out with another couple, Lee-Anne and Sean a bit, so we had eaten dinner with them and were sitting with them for drinks. The prosecco was delicious and went down so easy. Perhaps it was the brand, but probably just the ambiance. In fact, Jenny bought us all a second round. Cheers! There were bands playing too which just added to the amazing atmosphere. After that it was back on the water taxi and back to the hotel for the night. As the night wore on, the water began to rise in the square and was coming up from the sewers. It was actually quite fascinating to see. I have seen pictures of the city flooded before and business going on as usual and even though I know that this won't happen while we are here, but still can't believe it does so often. 

Venice is probably one of the most unique cities I have ever seen. I mean, it's on water. Water, folks!  The old school beauty and romanticism is all that I thought it would be.  No wonder so many couples come here on romantic vacays. Must be nice. Perhaps someday for me. But until then, I can't wait to see and learn more tomorrow and fingers crossed, I won't get lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment