Friday, July 12, 2013

London, Baby


DAY 3

I still really can't believe I am in Europe. I know people travel here all the time but I am still so excited and grateful to be here and really can't believe I am. But three days in, this is my current reality and I am truly so lucky!

With that being said, London is a pretty great city. I like the vibe; its very similar to NYC in many ways. A similar mixture of locals and tourists, but not as fast paced. (But where else is?) It's interesting to see which areas are "touristy" and which are more local.  I do know one thing though, while here, whenever I pass any of the carts selling touristy things here (like I heart London tees) I think to myself "London, baby!" a la Joey Tribiani in Friends. It's the episode when they all go to London for Ross' wedding to Emily and Joey buys all the tourist paraphernalia. Too funny! (Please know what I'm talking about.) I seriously have laughed out loud to myself on more then one occasion thinking about it while walking past these stands. Additionally and seriously, my British accent is on point. I mean, it's legit. I could prob fool someone that I was a local if I actually knew where I was going. Can't win 'em all though. 

I checked into my new hotel this morning and its located in a much more residential, affluent area than the tourist area I was I before. Its like I went from a hotel in Times Square to one on the Upper East Side. There are cute stores and restaurants right on the block and super nearby. The room is really nice again however there is no bidet. The nerve!! I WILL use one properly before I go. I am making it a mission of mine!! 

After getting settled,  me and my trusty map headed out again. After walking in a full circle before realizing I had gone the wrong way, I finally got my footing and headed out on my merry little way. So here's what happened today of this episode of RayRaysEuroVacay... 

What I saw and did:
-Westminster Abbey
-Hyde Park (Its freaking huge! I looked it up when I got back to the hotel (still have free wi-fi at new hotel..woohoo!) and it's surprisingly smaller in size than Central Park but I don't buy it. In the park the grass was long and not very green in many places but overall its a beautiful park. Very runner and biker friendly which I appreciated. Also they have lawn chairs on many of the lawns to rent and use. Brilliant!!
- Albert Memorial statue (Tehehe, there's a British Albert again)
-Royal Albert Hall
-Kensington Palace. (The front was under construction which was a bummer but out of my control. The grounds were very pretty though. This is also where the only red head I find attractive (Prince Harry) grew up.)
- Princess Diana memorial playground
-The Natural  History museum. (It was free which was why I went in. And it was pretty cool. If I had like two hours (or let's be serious, some patience) I would have stayed longer but (nerd alert) I saw a ton of really cool stuff that has to do with the Bio curriculum I teach.)
-Victoria and Albert Museum. (Also free, so I ventured in there. It had some decent medieval stuff and a pretty cool, but small fashion exhibit.)

More observations today about what I saw:
-People look absolutely ridiculous taking photos with iPads. 
-I am getting good at finding free, clean bathrooms! I hope I didn't just jinx myself. And for the record, the Starbucks here are just like the ones in NYC: smelly, dirty, and overused. Walked in one here and promptly walked out. I didn't have to go that bad.
- Everything said in a British accent sounds so polite. No matter what it is. And I think one of my fave British words to hear is "rubbish." (I overheard some man on the street say "Oh, that is simply rubbish I do say" today and I laughed. (Apparently it doesn't take much to entertain me.)

I once again walked sooooo much today. Prob a good ten miles at least. I was tempted to take the tube back to my hotel after doing all I needed to do but decided I had the time, it was nice out, and I like exploring (even though I constantly walk in circles until I realize what direction I should be going). I was even so confident in getting back this time I threw my headphones on to rock out. That's how I do!! And shockingly enough,  someone stopped to ask ME for directions. (Apparently walking fast and listening to music makes you look like a local.) I immediately told her I didn't live here but she continued to ask me anyway. And I actually knew the answer. Ha! I impressed myself. And to make matters even better, I walked back the hotel without getting turned around once. Success! Perhaps my sense of direction is improving. I think my reward for this was when I got back to the hotel to relax a bit (and ice my knees), Real Housewives of Beverly Hills was on TV followed by Millionaire Matchmaker. This was a major score. (Although I was hoping to catch an episode of Jules and Mimi if that's even a real show. Sex and the City shout out right there!!)

After another long and busy independent day, I just went to the grocery store near my hotel for some prepared food and snacks for dinner. I didn't feeling like dressing up and sitting down to be served in a restaurant. I was totally cool with sitting in my undies in bed eating carry-out. Duh. Plus I have been all over town on very little sleep these last few days. These dogs are barking. It was a welcomed, relaxed evening. 

I am finally meeting up with the people in my tour group tomorrow. I was surprised there was not meet and greet tonight, but tomorrow is the day where I will see if they are normal and at not all older. Like way older. Oy. Day three is in the books and from this point on, I am not flying solo. Although I am sure I will still have many times to venture off alone, the official tour begins tomorrow. One more full day in London then on to Amsterdam. Bring it! 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to doing everything that you did! Your writing just cracks me up! LOVE YOU!!!! MAMA

    ReplyDelete