Saturday, July 13, 2013

Oh hey Richard!



DAY 4


Well today was the day the official tour was supposed to begin. I barely slept last night out of excitement and anxiousness. This is becoming a pattern here in Europe. I woke up and I started the day with some English breakfast in the hotel. Blah. Up until this point I had been eating the Lara and Cliff bars I brought but since breakfast is now included, I will eat it at the hotels. The bacon here in London is apparently like Canadian bacon which we all know isn't bacon at all, but ham. What a sham. But there were mini Nutella containers which of course I swiped for later. I love Nutella. Who doesn't?!?

I then met up with what I thought was my group but it was just me and a family of four from Canada. I was confused. I thought everyone was staying at our hotel. Weird. We then went to two other hotels to pick up some more people. After speaking with a few of these people I am pretty sure they are just on diff tours with my company and are not the group I will be traveling with (except the fam, who were suuuuper nice btw. And they thought I was like 23 years old which made me like them even more. Booyah.)

Our tour guide in the morning was a lovely woman named Ingrid. She sounded like Mrs. Doubtfire which was incredible. I loved hearing her talk and she was full of information and had a great sense of humor. After seeing so much of London the past three days on my own it was so excellent to receive all the additional information and history on certain sites that I didn't know about.  Also she was full of fun factoids not found in the guide books. I really learned a lot about about all the places I had explored since I've been in London. It gave it all more meaning although was a bit too sloooow for me. This made me so glad I had come early and done a lot of the sites by myself at my pace (i.e. a very fast pace).

After the tour, I bought myself a one day unlimited Tube pass because I wanted to go to a few neighborhoods very spaced out and just don't want to waste the time walking to all of them because it would literally take hours and I'd pass everything I'd seen already and didn't need to see again. Also, Mrs. Doubtfire informed us that buying a one day unlimited Tube pass saves you money if you plan to use it more than twice; which I was. I planned my route out beforehand (duh) and once again, went on my merry little way. 

This train system is actually pretty easy to understand, but I just got confused once with which direction train I needed when there were no signs. I didn't want to end up on the wrong side of the platform. But I did so well. So well! Good signage was the key. I was legit proud of myself. I only wish the train cars had A/C. It was brutally hot in them. There were a few other things I noticed about The Tube/Underground:
     - The stops on the are much further apart than the 9 block apart stops on most NYC trains. Maybe that's why it costs much more money. 
     - The rides are expensive. My one day pass cost like $12 US. I ended up using it 3 times so essentially got one ride for free, so that was good. 
     - People actually stay to the right on escalators and let those that want to walk up on the left, do so, without a problem. It was a pleasure. 
     - The system here is like the Metro in DC in the sense you have to swipe in when you enter and then again when you exit. I forgot each time and had to fumble for my pass. But don't worry, I wasn't the asshole doing it at the turnstiles, I pulled over. 

Today I had two locations in mind to get to, and explore, since I had covered so much ground in the last few days already. 

1) Oxford Street. I wanted to check out some more of the shopping scene. I had no intention of buying anything for the sake of space in my suitcase so early on in the trip. And we have almost all these stores in NYC so I can wait. Shopping on Oxford could be best described as shopping on Broadway south of Houston street in NYC. Lots of chain stores (yes I did go in Forever 21. No I did not go in any of the four H&M's. But also yes I checked out TopShop since it is British.) I also went in Selfridges which, like Harrods had a lot of high end stuff. I once again went to trusty ole Pret A Manger for a quick sandwich for lunch and then to Starbucks (they are everywhere) for an iced tea. It was hot out there today and that really hit the spot.

2) Notting Hill. Here I had two goals in mind. To see the blue-door house in the Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts movie Notting Hill and to check out Portobello Market. I had not heard of the market before but my mom had it on her itinerary and since I had extra time, I headed down there. (But not before losing my direction and walking in circles not once, but twice. Geez. When will I learn?) The market was cool for about five blocks but then everything started to look the same and it got waaaay too crowded. I walked a bit longer down the way and then pulled over to get some free wifi. I was on the phone with my brother when it happened... I had a celeb sighting in London!!! Yeah!  An NBA player. (Even better.) Yup, when I see a tall handsome black man, of course my radar goes on overdrive. But this guy actually looked familiar. And he was. It was Richard Jefferson, who played at Arizona for college and most recently was on the New Jersey Nets and Golden State Warriors. Because I have volume control problems and was on the phone, he totally heard me say his name to my brother and turned around. So of course I then waved, told him I was from New York, freaked out, and then calmed down enough to go up to him, say hi, and get a pic. And that's the story how I met my future husband in London. I kid, I kid. But I wish!! His girlfriend  was nice enough to take our picture and I was giddy the rest of the day. No one else recognized him on the VERY crowded streets and I applaud myself on recognizing NBA players from across the pond. 

It doesn't seem like I did a lot today compared to the last two days but I covered a lot of ground again. I came back to the hotel to meet my tour director and got some intel on the group I will finally meet 
tomorrow. Interesting (and shockingly) enough, I am the only American in my group out of 20 people. There is apparently one Canadian (I guess the fam I met earlier is not in my group) and the rest are Aussies. Oh, and I am the youngest person. That I pretty much expected though. When I picked nicer accommodations over potential closer age range (when I picked Insight over Contiki), I knew what at was getting into. I guess I'll know more tomorrow. I know I said that yesterday, but today I really mean it! 

Well, tonight was my last night in London for now. I have to be up at 4:15 am tomorrow to get ready and head out to Amsterdam. Since I have to be up so early, I laid low again tonight. Grabbed dinner and brought it back to my room to relax. I have not really done much at night here mostly because I'm exhausted from all my day-exploring, but also because I really don't feel like going to a bar or club  alone. Do I want to party a little? Yes. But I also know its not the safest thing to do alone and I don't need to be hungover and/or dehydrated in the morning or need the extra calories. It's all good. though, I do however, want to see Big Ben at night. Since it gets dark so late here (like 10), I am going to try and go my last night here in 3 weeks. Anyway, that's it for London...for now. Onto country #2. Hoping to continue to be lucky connecting to wifi but one never knows. I will keep writing but may just have to post at a later date back to back...to back. Stay tuned! Holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment