Saturday, September 26, 2015

Summer is Dunzo

Well, September has come and its almost gone and I didn't write one post this month. What the heck?!?! This is hasn't happened once since starting this blog and I'm not about to have it happen now. So, as I sit in the hospital during my Remicade treatment, why not write a post of what's been going on lately? Right?!?!?

I feel like a lot has been going on, but at the same time, very little has also been going on. Summer is officially over and that's fucking depressing. I really had such an incredible summer that, like every other teacher out there, I didn't want it to end. (I also am in severe denial that my tan is fading. Sigh.) So now that summer is dunzo, the school year is in full swing, and fall has begun, here's what's been going on with me...

1) I'm back to work. I was dreading this after ending on such a low note last year and being so miserable there. It's a new year and a fresh start and I thought I would be okay there. But, unfortunately I am still not so happy there. The one good thing about this school year starting has been that there have been so many holidays and days off of school that the start has been slow and not super overwhelming. Overwhelming yes, but not super overwhelming. So there's that. Things are a little different this fall at work because I have less on my plate. This is the first time in eight years where I am not coaching bowling in the fall. (I actually get to leave school when its over. Such a treat.) I also am not the student activities coordinator or the assistant athletic director anymore at my school. I decided it would be wise to drop those responsibilities this year. With them on my plate along with a full teaching schedule and coaching in the winter (basketball) and spring (flag football) as well, last year was just so stressful and hard for me. I was so burnt out by June that I really didn't know how I'd make it back this September, but I did. I was truly happy to see my students on the first day and really, they are the reason that I came back. (Ummm, and my paycheck I suppose. And the fact I have zero other options.) We have such great kids at our school and they make it worthwhile and I just have to keep reminding myself of that no matter how bored, unhappy, overworked and stressed I am. (One can only teach the scientific method so many times in a day. Ugh.) I think I'm going through some sort of third-life crisis job-wise and am still trying to figure out my next move regarding this, but until then, I have to suck it up and do my job.

2) I'm still marathon training. Marathon number ten is two weeks away and although I've been following my training schedule, I am not where I want to be speed-wise, and this is beyond frustrating. I'm much slower than I was this time last year and runs seem a little more difficult. I'm not as confident because of this, and this irritates the shit out of me. It's infuriating actually. I've also been having some health issues this training cycle that I've never encountered before as well. For almost a month now, I have had terrible, terrible pain in what I believe is my bladder. There was blood in my urine so I had to have a bunch of unpleasant tests done, and they all came back normal. So I have no answers right now. I tried medication, but it didn't help.  Frustrating. Clearly this whole bladder thing has hindered my training quite a bit because of the pain and discomfort. At this point, I am sucking it up and grinding through the pain when I run and just hope it eventually goes away. I had to do that during my last few long runs, then I went home and cried. Ugh. I'm proud of myself for gutting it out and getting the miles in, but I also know that that is the type of person I am. But at the same time, if this continues as it has, I will have to go see another doctor to get to the bottom of it. It's not okay. This year was supposed to my year to PR, but I'm not so sure that is going to happen this time around. It may be good for me to accept that now to take some of the pressure off myself and enjoy myself a bit more. But who am I kidding, I will stress and freak and panic and cry about this race regardless. And yet, I still love doing it. #Crazy.

3) I've been taking more SoulCycle. Sure, its making me broke as a joke, but it makes me happy. So very happy. I seriously look forward to every class. I work hard, sweat my balls off, and truly enjoy it. I rock out in the front row and actually feel confident about myself and my strength on the bike. I've been going about twice a week now versus my one time a week and this is a splurge for me financially. But again, it really puts a smile on my face. I mean, there are worse things, I could spend my money on to be happy. Hello drugs?!?!?! Kidding, kidding. I've been trying other studios in the city and other instructors as well, which has been fun as it's cool to see each individual instructors style. Usually I would stick with one I really liked, but since my usual instructor no longer teaches at times that fit my schedule, it was time to branch out a bit and its been fun. And the cuter the instructor, the harder I work. Duh.

4) I haven't deleted Tinder yet. This is a minor win for me. I've thought about it multiple times, but haven't pulled the trigger yet on that X. In the time I've been on it, I've talked to quite a few guys. There's a lot of "Hey, what's up?" and "How was your day?" and "Blah, blah, small talk, blah." Snooze. Boring. I've probably had great conversations with three guys. Three. Total. That's it. Out of those three, I went out with one of them. The other two and I, in typical Tinder form, talked (and by talked, I mean texted) a bunch over the course of a day or two, set up an actual date, and then at the last minute, they bailed. Both offered to reschedule in their cancellation text and when I offered a different date, they were never to be heard from again. What. The Fuck. However, this seems to be the norm. It's pathetic to me that I am not even surprised when this happens anymore. I actually expect it and sometimes make other plans anyway expecting this. That's not okay, but such is dating in 2015 apparently. But for some reason, I haven't quit it yet because I guess I have nothing to lose at this point. I'll keep swiping away. It can't hurt and I am the queen of hitting the "unmatch" button after all that lame small talk. And although I am extremely jaded by this shitty, shady app (oh wait, that's some of the people on it), I am trying to remain open-minded. Some of my friends have met their significant others on it, so I am not giving up quite yet. Sure, I could use an actual dating site where I have to fill out a profile and such, but I don't care that much to do so and can't deal putting in that effort and most likely having the same thing happening. Yes I know, shitty attitude but it is what it is.

5) I've been watching a lot of TV. Fall TV is back! There is so much good stuff on. And I want to watch it all. I was psyched to be able to watch Scandal because I caught up on Netflix from the beginning in the spring and was hooked. Bravo is on its game with Ladies of London and Below Deck. Scream Queens pleasantly surprised me with being so funny. I even laughed out loud a few times. And there is a lot (A LOT!!!) more on my DVR and Netflix queue to keep me occupied.

6) It's almost legging season. Well lets be serious, its always legging season for me. But now that the weather is getting cooler, its getting to be my favorite weather. Leggings and a hoodie. It's the best. I am not some pumpkin-flavored everything, Ugg wearing, fall basic bitch, but I do love me some leggings. I am more a crop girl myself, but I do have some fun patterned long ones too that its finally not going to be too hot to wear. (Right now it's still a little warm here for that.) And since they are only type of clothing (along with other workout clothes and gym shoes) I am currently comfortable shopping for with my disgusting weight gain, I may just have to add more to my collection. (Don't worry mom, I plan to toss or give away a few pairs. Maybe.) And soon enough, it will be full blown sweatpant season. Yyyyeeeessssss.

7) I bought an adult coloring book. Yessir, I did. And its awesome. Along with my super cool gel pens, that I also ordered, I am loving the coloring. Adult coloring books are supposed to relieve stress and tension and I've found that to be true. Whatever helps, right? As long as I stay in the lines and don't make any mistakes, this coloring thing is super great! I have made some fabulous masterpieces so far. It's definitely helped me relax.

There's obviously some other stuff going but if I wrote about it all, I'd probably sound like a crazy person (if I didn't already). So there you have it, a quick catch up with what's happening! Enough to fill a full post? You betcha!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I understand #6... is it ever NOT legging season??

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! But it's too hot for me in the summer to wear any type of pant. But if I must, it's obviously a legging!!

    ReplyDelete