Friday, September 6, 2013

A Girl's Guide to Football Sunday

Exciting news everyone: I am now also writing for the website Jones and B. Def click that link and check it out. It's a really fun, new blog on a number of topics and I am super excited to be writing for them, as well as continuing to post here. Everyone here knows I am a big sports fan so as long as football season just started, why not write a post about a female's point of view of Sunday Funday during football season? So without further adieu, here is my first post for the Jones and B website that I am also posting here. Why you ask am I posting here too? Because I wrote it, I like it, and I want peeps to not only read it here, but check out all the other awesome posts over there! Enjoy. 

********************************************************************************

Well ladies, summer is basically over which pretty much blows. It’s getting darker earlier, our tans are fading, and it’s almost time to retire the sandals for the season. Blah. On the plus side, the weather is getting crisper, Halloween candy is out in stores, and football has finally started up again. Woohoo. As a female, many might not think I care that much about it football, but newsflash: I care. Born and bred in Chicago, I am a Bears fan through and through. And I know and love my football. Although the Bears continually disappoint me season after season, it does not stop me from rocking my Urlacher jersey every Sunday, talking shit to whomever will listen, and enjoying the game. Whether I am out at a bar or in the confines of my own apartment, football Sundays pretty much rule. (And a MNF isn’t so bad either.) I mean, what beats a day of watching jacked, grown men in tight white pants running around a field? Dayum.

Most girls enjoy going out for Sunday Funday to watch football because it’s a total meat market. Guys, guys, and more guys. Everywhere. Can’t complain. On football Sundays, there are always tons of dudes out and about. Besides going to watch football at the bar, it’s totally a great place to meet someone if that’s your game plan. I mean, forget the hot guys on my TV screen, let’s also scope out the guys out at the bar. It’s a win-win deal. I mean, c’mon now, I am a single female whose into sports, so Sunday Funday during football season is such a jackpot for me. Often times however, once I start a convo with a guy on the football, I straddle that line of impressing a guy with my knowledge of the game or intimidating them with my what I know. Can’t win ‘em all though. But for what its worth, being a girl on football Sunday isn’t all that bad even if you don’t know an ounce about football. Here are some helpful tips for enjoying the big day.

1)    Do a little research. Know whose playing at least. Being dumb isn’t cute. Sorry. And if you can, learn the name of the star player on the team. This is a great conversation starter so really try and work with that if it’s all you got. If you know about the actual game of football, definitely don’t hide it. And if you play fantasy, dudes will probably be super impressed as well (especially if you have a hilarious team name). Work with what you’ve got.
2)    Call your diet off for the day. Sunday’s are a day of beer, wings, nachos, sliders and so much more, so just enjoy yourself. Bar food rules. Period. And that shit tastes even better when you are still hungover from the night before. Hey, it’s the weekend, just continue indulging. AmIRight?
3)    Be comfy and casual. Jeans or yoga pants with a jersey or cute T-shirt/hoody with sneakers. Please, please, please don’t wear any pink-colored NFL paraphanelia. And please, please, please no heels. Not okay. Relax yourself.
4)    Don’t totally overdo it. Remember, its Sunday, not Saturday anymore. The first games start at one and the late game can often go on past 11. Pace yourself. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. You will have to work tomorrow. Monday is never fun, but a hungover Monday is the freaking worst.

From now until February there are so many games to be played, so much beer to be drunk, and so many people to meet. So get out there ladies enjoy football season just like the guys do. Do yo’ thang. Take advantage of football Sunday for more than just the game. And because I can’t resist…Go Bears! 

***Once again, if you didn't already, head on over to Jones and B and check that out. Do it. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment