Monday, August 10, 2015

Oh Hey, I'm in America

This summer really has been great so far with trips to DC, Chicago, and of course, Europe. And although I have traveled quite a bit, I wanted to fit in at least one more small trip so I decided to hit up Boston. Yes friends, it's #RayRayMiniBostonVacay!! I've been to Boston twice before and have done all the major tourist things but still know what a great city it is and wanted to return to do some of them again and to obviously experience some new stuff as well. 

I booked myself a cheap bus ticket on Megabus (just like with DC) and a not-so-cheap hotel room a couple of weeks ago and went on my merry way this morning. I arrived in Boston around 2:15 and walked immediately to my hotel to get settled in and study the map a bit. That took all of ten minutes and I was out the door ready to explore. My first stop, which was only one block away from the hotel was Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Of course this is a prime tourist destination and I had to hit it up because it's a must-see even though loaded with slow walking people. I was starving and knew that I wanted a lobster roll for my first meal here. Well that or fried clams. I was planning to eat both of those while in Boston but since my hotel was close to the North End I figured I'd go to Neptune Oyster for linner. I hadn't eaten lunch so knew I could eat a big meal and spend a bit more money on it. After all, a good lobster roll (or shall I say lobstah roll) doesn't come cheap. At 3:30 on a Monday, the wait for a seat at bar was 45 minutes. I couldn't believe it; I can't imagine what it's like at a normal meal hour. I was so hungry but wanted this and only this so I put my name down, gave them my phone number to call when a seat was available and headed out to kill time. 


Since I was right on the Freedom Trail, I decided to walk it to one end. I would do that, walk back to eat, and then do the other end of the Freedom Trail. As I headed across the Charlestown Bridge over the Inner Harbor toward the end of the Freedom Trail, I started getting hungry and luckily packed a Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut butter pack with me. It's my new go-to snack and tastes great and actually fills me up for a bit. Anyway, I walked along the Freedom Trail and got to the end, which was the Bunker Hill Monument. I actually had never been there before because apparently the last time I walked the Freedom Trail (last two times I guess) I went the other direction and finished at the other ending spot I think so I was happy I took this route. There was an option to climb the tower to get a view of the city which was obviously a must for me. Ummm, of course I couldn't pass this up. And it was free! Score. The walk was 294 stairs straight up and man, was it tough. I went out way too fast and was huffing and puffing. I am in fantastic shape, but damn those stairs got me. When I got to the top of the tower, I was sweating profusely all over and breathing hard. The view was mediocre because there were clear plates on the windows and not a direct-to-outside view. The plates were opaque, but filthy. I still got some decent pics and was happy I made the climb, but it definitely didn't hold a candle to any of the towers I climbed in Europe. I made my way down (my legs were shaking) and by that time it had been over 45 minutes since I put my name down at Neptune. I figured I had missed my reservation and lost my seat, but lo and behold, as soon as I started heading back, they called me to say my seat was ready. I told them it would take me about fifteen minutes to get back and they held it for me. I took a straight shot back there and didn't take the trail back to save time. When I got there, I got my seat, chugged some water, and ordered my lobster roll. I went with the buttered one and not the mayo one and when it came out it looked amazing. It was loaded with huge chunks of lobster and the bun was perfect too. No wonder this place ranks number one lobster roll on so many lists. I ate the whole thing (and the fries), paid my $37 with tax and tip (YIKES!) and headed out to see more of the city. 

I was now happy and full and ready to take on the rest of the Freedom Trail and see more of Boston. I followed the trail to Boston Common which was magnificent, and hit the end. I forgot how short it was, but glad I did it so quickly again. From there I wanted to see the Cheers bar, which I have been to before and also see the Boston Marathon finish line, which I've actually never seen in person. I've seen pictures a million times but wanted to see it in person being the loser-running-lover that I am. I walked down Boylston and when I got there and saw it, I totally got goosebumps standing there imagining myself crossing it one day. It's totally on my bucket list and I want to run it one day very soon!! I also got sad thinking about the bombing there too. Scary shit. It was kind of surreal standing there after seeing all the tragic stuff on TV that happened that day. It really hit close to home. 

After that, I decided to walk back toward my hotel down Newbury Street (I even popped in an Athleta and drooled over all the new clothes) and landed back toward Boston Common where I sat for a bit in the Public Gardens near famous Swan boats while just people watching, writing this post, enjoying the perfect weather, and just smiling while taking in the city. Gosh, traveling makes me so happy. I know I say this all the time when gone, but it's just so true. It brings me such joy. 

After chillin' in the park and actually sitting still for a bit, I began walking again back toward Fanueil Hall. I was tired and realized that, hey, I'm in America so can watch normal TV back at the hotel instead of CNN Europe over and over like I did while in Europe. It was weird to realize that and also realize that I had cell phone service all day too without having to find wifi like when I was in Europe. I kind of laughed to myself when that realization hit me. Poor me, so over-traveled this summer that I forgot I was in the USA. 

The sun was setting so I went down to the harbor to watch it set on the water and then walked back to my hotel to shower, relax, and plan for tomorrow. I obviously want to get a run in along the Charles River and plan to also hit up Harvard and MIT as well as Copley Square. I've seen both before but such a long time ago. I'm looking forward to it all so I need a good nights sleep! With a full day tomorrow I have a lot of options and can't wait!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment