Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Two loves today: Campuses and Stadiums!!

On my last night in Boston I slept pretty decently, even with my ridiculously sore calves. I didn't set an alarm for this morning and actually slept until almost eight. I didn't want to waste a morning not running while here but also didn't want to force my legs when they are this sore. (I really don't remember a time they have been this tender and sore.) I have an 18-miler this weekend and need them to feel decent, dare I even say good. I've given up on them feeling fresh unless I totally sit still for a few days and that's nearly impossible. Anyway, I decided to do a walk/run along the Harbor and the water. It's something I've never done before and it was beautiful. The sky was blue (thank god!) and clear and I walked a bunch and then incorporated some running. I even passed the site of the Boston Tea Party which was pretty cool. I am embarrassed to say I recall nothing of this historically (when and why it happened) but I do know it was super important. So there's that. I also noticed there was a Legal Seafood ridiculously close which would have been nice to know Monday when I got here starving. But now I know. 

After my run, I came back to the hotel, packed up and checked out the hotel. Check out wasn't until noon but I didn't want to have to rush back to do it and then head out again. Once that was done, I hopped on the T to make my way to Fenway. I've been there before and even did the tour, which by the way, was so awesome. I wasn't going to do it again but did want to walk around the area and see the stadium again. As a big sports fan, and Fenway being one of the most historical stadiums in the country, I just had to. I would absolutely LOVE to go to a game there one day. 

Getting there was mildly tricky because the stop I was supposed to transfer at was closed but I figured out an alternate route and was once again, proud of myself. My ability to read a real map (even reading google maps on my phone is abysmal) but I can read a subway map pretty darn well!! 

When I got to Fenway I walked around the area a bit and got totally nostalgic with a big grin on my face. Sports are such a big love of mine so even though I've been to Fenway, it's such a legendary place to be. There is something very special about it. I love seeing sports stadiums in different cities; it's so fun for me. I called my dad because I knew how much he'd love it there right then and wished he had been there with me. I also had such Fever Pitch flashbacks and wished I was walking through Yawkey Way hand in hand with Jimmy Fallon too. Ahhhhh. 

I did a full loop of the blocks around the stadium smiling ear to ear the whole time. If there had been a game today, I def would have gotten tickets to go. But there wasn't, so I didn't, so I started walking back toward the city. On the way, I stopped for lunch at Bertucci's, which although is a chain, is delicious. I probably haven't had it in like eight years and it was really good and hit the spot and gave me the energy to keep on my way. I wanted to see both MIT and Harvard again because like stadiums, I absolutely love college campuses! And in the rain yesterday, I didn't see much (even though I've wandered both on other trips to Boston) of either.

I walked back to MIT so I could actually walk around the campus a bit and then walked up Mass Ave all the way Harvard. I've made that walk before and it can get a little seedy but it definitely seems less so this time around. I also stumbled upon Graffiti Alley which was so cool. I do love me some street art and this was so bright and colorful and cool to see. 

When I got to Harvard I walked through Harvard Yard again, unimpressed again, but it was better than yesterday because I wasn't soaking wet. Then I hopped on the T and made my way back to Boston Common than back to Faneuil Hall. I actually quickly met up with a friend from Camp Oasis who was also in Boston. I'll see him Monday at camp but it was fun to see a familiar face and quickly catch up. And my last stop was to the recently opened Public Market. I was unimpressed but it still looked like it wasn't 100% up to being ready so maybe next time I'll be there, it will be a solid choice for quick food options. 

Finally, it was time to gather my stuff and head to the bus station. I had some time to kill so along the way, I sat in a public park and just people watched a bit. My bus left right at 4:00 and it was off to NYC! Another quick little trip in the book and another fabulous time was had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment