Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Rain rain, go away!

Day two in Boston started with what else? A run! Duh. I slept like garbage last night and was up way before my alarm this morning because of it. My legs were sore, I was so hungry since I had eaten my linner around 4:30, and the news last night kept talking about the storms that were going to come through today and all the rain so of course I was stressed over that a bit. I knew if I woke up early, I'd hopefully get my run in before the storms. My alarm was set for 7:30 (super late for me) but when I got up at 6, I let myself lie in bed for a half hour before heading out. My plan was to run to Harvard and MIT and back. I wanted to run across the Charles River at least once this trip. I took Newbury street over to Mass Ave and made it to and over the bridge. I hit MIT around mile 3 and my legs were so heavy so I turned around and headed back to the hotel. I still had a solid run and did the route I had planned. The drizzle started around mile 4 but it felt good and kind of a relief. I stopped and picked up a fresh green juice on my way to the hotel and made my plan for the rest of the day. 

Since I didn't make it Harvard on my run, I took the T over there to walk around a bit and then was going to take the train back to Copley Square for lunch. I have so much public transportation confidence now in other cities since this past trip to Europe so knew I'd be able to figure out the T pretty easily. When I got on the T in the city, it was a light mist, but when I got off in Cambridge it was pouring. So annoying. I had obviously brought an umbrella because I am nothing if not prepared, but it's still not enjoyable to walk around in the rain. I walked through Harvard Yard which so many people alway raves about. I've been there on a beautiful day and still think it's a dump compared to the Quad at U of I. I'm not even kidding. I walked through the rainy Yard and saw hoards of prospective Asian students and then walked around a bit more. I obviously went in the book store to look at stuff (I could have bought so much stuff there!!) and then headed back on the T to Copley Square, the only other place on my to-do list even though I had briefly passed it yesterday. It was raining so hard when I got off the train I just decided I would get lunch then maybe go see a movie. I didn't want to walk around in so much rain. It's so yucky!! 

I had really wanted fried clams since yesterday so I google-mapped Legal Seafoods and went there. I know there are famously good places outside the city, but this one had received good recs in the city. I made my way there, ordered my clams, and boy were they delicious. This is not something I would ever order on the reg, but they were good. My stomach didn't seem to agree much with all the friedness but I did enjoy it. As soon as I was done eating, I promptly ran to the bathroom. Eeeeek. TMI. I don't care. My body certainly was not used to all that grease and didn't appreciate it at all. Come to think of it, I think the exact thing happened the last time I had fried clams in the Cape. 

After lunch, I wasn't so sure to do a movie or a museum because of the rain. My feet were wet, my legs super sore, my tummy full, and it was straight-up gross out. My mom suggested the JFK Presidential Museum but I really had zero desire to do that, so after grabbing lunch I went to see a movie near Boston Common. This is something I would never ever think to do on a trip, but with a storm like this, it had to happen for me. I got to the theater with an hour to kill before the movie so sat tight and hoped my dress, socks, and shoes would dry a bit before the movie started and read my book. I saw Trainwreck which I've only heard good things about and really enjoyed it. Amy Schumer and I could be really good friends. Our senses of humor are seriously similar in the inappropriate, vulgar way and her character in the movie definitely hit a chord with me but that's another post on another day. I do recommend this movie though and it was one I planned to see in New York. It was actually a great way to spend a rainy day here. It just better not fucking rain tomorrow. Or else! 

When I left the the theater, it was barely misting so I went for a little walk before heading back to the hotel to lay down for a bit. Today's weather was such a bummer but my calves and hamstrings are so sore and tight so perhaps not walking as much was helpful. 

After laying down a bit, I was finally able to meet my friend for dinner. This is the same friend who got married last summer in Portland and that I have been friends with for ten years. We were roommates for our summer semester of NYU and have been friends ever since. I hadn't seen her since the wedding but it was so great to see a familiar face here and not have to eat a meal alone, but also to catch up with someone I'm so comfortable talking to. We ate at a bar in the city and chatted the whole time. It was great, but unfortunately it was raining still so we couldn't walk around the city at all after eating. We hung at bit at the hotel and then it was time for her to head back to the burbs and me to get ready for bed. 

Sure, the rain sucked balls today and put a bit of a damper on my day but I was still able to do quite a few things and keep busy all day. It better not rain tomorrow so I can enjoy my last day in Beantown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment