Monday, December 12, 2011

Damn You Facebook!

Do you ever get that feeling where you hit it off with a guy and then when the time comes to part ways, nothing happens? There is that awkward pause on what (if anything) is going to happen next and then you are all "K, nice to meet you, bye." No exchange of numbers or emails or anything? It's kind of disappointing, right? Well, yeah. This has happened to me a couple times and in my head I think "Wow, maybe I read that whole situation wrong and totally made up the chemistry we had." Then I second guess myself. Kinda sucks. But it is what it is. I am a woman of the 2000's, I can make the move after if I want to. (And really, if he was just that into me, wouldn't he have just done it?)

The most recent of this event happened in September. I went to a Giants Monday Night Football game with some friends.  When we got to our seats, next to us were some normal looking guys our age, which is always a good thing.  I started talking with one of them who was one seat away from me. We kept talking over his friend (who sat in between us) and seemed to actually hit it off, chatting flirtatiously most of the game. He even offered multiple times to get me a drink, some ice cream, etc... Eventually he asked if he could switch seats with his friend and we sat next to each other the rest of the game. We covered the usual about each other as far as what we do, where we went to school, where we are from, etc... All seemed to be going pretty well for what I thought would be at the very least, an exchange of information for future contact. However, when my friends and I left the game after the third quarter because it was a snooze fest at that point, we said goodbye to each other and then...nothing. I for sure thought he'd ask for my digits. But he didn't. Bummer. I wasn't going to initiate asking for his information because I didn't care THAT much (he was G-U (Geographically Undesirable) after all) to me, but there was mild disappointment on my end. 

Anyway, cut to this weekend, I was reading an article online about how Facebook has this "Other" section in their "Messages" that hides messages from people that you are not friends with or have no mutual friends with. I decided to see if I had this section, which I obviously do, (cause everyone does!) and lo and behold, there was a message from the cute guy from the Giants game from the night we met in September! WTF?! How could I have missed this? Fucking Facebook!! I mean we could be happily dating by now. Totally kidding. Or more likely, I could have already gone out with him once, found something wrong with him, and written him off already. Also kidding. Kind of. But seriously, I mean, how did I not know about this secret message section until now? This means, after the game, he actually searched for me on Facebook, and found me, which isn't an easy task. I have a pretty common name and live in an enormous city so kudos to you fella. You have good Facebook stalking skills! A man after my own heart.

So here I was on a Friday night with this new Facebook message from someone I was attracted to for a night two months ago.  Kind of exciting. But man was I pissed I didn't get the message then. Damage done though. I decided even though two-and-a-half months had gone by I would write him back anyway. Hey, I have nothing to lose at this point. And so I did. And we corresponded back and forth a few messages and then nothing. I mean two months have passed, so maybe the little interest he had was gone. If that was the case though, why bother even writing back (and in a flirtatious manner at that)? (I mean I guess I could have initiated a meet-up or something, but eh, whatever.)

I really don't know why he wrote me two months ago. Maybe he was too nervous to ask for my number at the game? Or just wanted to continue to chat? Or was just bored? Whatever it was, I wish I would have gotten the message back then because he obviously went out of his way to find me and write me. Regardless of what might have happened then (and the fact I got nothing out of it now), I now know how to get my "other messages" from Facebook so something like this won't happen again. Next time I meet a cute guy and we seem to hit it off and he doesn't ask for my number, I will either man up and ask for his or can only hope his shyness will not hinder him from finding me on Facebook and messaging me. Challenge extended gentlemen.

1 comment:

  1. Man UP. Facebook may change it's format, YET AGAIN, because you KNOW facebook loves doing that. When that happens, cute guy from where ever will try to get in contact with you (because cute guys like you so we can only assume history will repeat itself) and then he will wimp out, find you on facebook, message you, another two months will go by, and we will be back at square one. So, I say MAN UP. I dare you ;-)

    ReplyDelete