Thursday, December 1, 2011

Boom-Shaka-Laka

I have been a teacher for the past seven years. And I love it. It is the only "real" job that I have had. I was a camp counselor then a camp director for many years in the summers of high school and college, and even worked at Bed, Bath, and Beyond...for three days. Retail wasn't for me.

As a teacher, I obviously get holidays off, as well as winter, spring, and summer vacations. Can't really complain about it. But sometimes....just sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if I had my "dream job." Like, if education, experience, and connections wasn't an issue, what would I absolutely love to do? That's easy, I would be a sports commentator on ESPN. That's right, I want to be a SportsCenter anchor. I make no apologies for my love for sports. Some might find it odd for a female to watch, play, and simply enjoy sports as much as I do. (And seriously for a girl like me to know so much about them and still be single, what's the deal?)

A few years back there was a show on ESPN called "Dream Job" where competitors vied for a position as an anchor on SportsCenter. I didn't know about it until it began and had only wish I had applied for that show. I would have dominated the competition.  Sure I have no broadcasting experience, but that's ok. I have natural charm and charisma that will captivate an audience. And if I was a sportscaster, I would have my own amazing catch phrase. Booyah. Boom-shaka-laka. Yahtzee. Or even "Boom goes the dynamite". It would be amazing. And an instant classic once it leaves my lips for the first time. People would be quoting me left and right. And I would be a legend. Damn, ESPN, just hire me now.

After I moved to NYC, I inquired about getting an internship down in Bristol, CT at ESPN, but they only took internships from college students. Since I was no longer in college, that option was not available to me which was a bummer. The only way for me to really go after this dream would be to quit my day job and put all my marbles into this dream. And as much as I want to do that, I just can't. I am a realist and at this point in my life, it's not in the cards. I wish I could drop everything to chase this dream but since money IS an object (that I don't have a lot of), I need to stick with my day job.  I am very happy being a teacher and if an opportunity arises to chase this dream for real, I will obviously jump at it, but until then, I will continue to just entertain my students which Biology catchphrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment