Thursday, December 29, 2011

You don't know what you're missing!

As the year comes to a close and a lot of shows are in re-runs right now, there is no better time to catch up on some shows you may have missed this fall (or even last spring) and want to catch up on before they start again. I have said many-a-times that I watch a lot of TV shows and am shameless about some of the trash I watch. However, I do watch a variety of shows: comedy, drama, reality, etc... I have very eclectic taste. But good taste. When new shows premiere, I will usually give them an episode or two as a try-out and if they can't keep my attention, I drop them. I always like when I am pleasantly surprised by a new show; whether it cracks me up or keeps me in such suspense I am on the edge of my seat. There are also very few shows I feel the need to watch that very evening and sometimes even...dare I say it...live. With commercials and all. They are that good that I don't want to wait until the next day to watch. That is rare, but it has happened. Below are what I think are the top 5 shows that premiered this year (Jan-Dec) that I think everyone should be watching in 2012.

1. Revenge (ABC, Wed 10 EST) By far the best new show on TV this year. I can't recommend it enough. I enjoy this show so much that I watch it live almost every Wednesday if I can. And each time it ends, I cannot wait until the next week. It's one of those shows that you almost don't want to watch so you can save up a bunch of episodes and watch them all at once without interruption. That good. Plus the scenery of the Hamptons, the wardrobe, and the eye-candy don't hurt either.
2. After Lately (E!, Sun 11 EST). I don't watch Chelsea Lately even though I find Chelsea hilarious and feel we'd be best friends. I just don't have time to watch it every single night. After Lately is a reality-based sitcom loosely based on the behind the scenes antics that happen at the Chelsea Lately offices. This show actually makes me laugh out loud which is very rare for me. Her cast of writers is brillz and they all feed off each other so well. I also love the fact that Chelsea wears workout clothes in almost every scene. Man, we would be BFF's.
3. Happy Endings (ABC, Wed 9 EST). This show is about a group of six 20-something friends living in Chicago and all their shenanigans. Kind of like a new take on Friends. Kind of. Its quick witted and humorous with relevant topics. As much as I like this show, the one thing that bugs me is that it is so NOT filmed in Chicago and its like they don't even make an effort to make it look like they do. The character Max does however, have a great Chicago accent which I do appreciate. Also, in my opinion, the star of the show is Penny who is the "single girl" worried she will never find a man. Um...relatable? I think, yes.
4. Teen Mom 2 (MTV, Tues 10 EST). After the first batch of Teen Moms was so successful, I wasn't so sure MTV would be able to strike gold twice, but I will admit that I was wrong. This whole new crew, now on their second season this year, brings the drama every week. Leah, Janelle, Kailyn, and Chelsea all have issues of their own, some that can be followed in the tabloids, and some new ones that are revealed on the show. One thing is for sure, this show serves as good birth control for me. Let's just hope it does for the teenagers that also watch. Yipes.
5. Switched at Birth (ABC Family, Tues 8 EST). I am a sucker for ABC Family original series and movies. I was a little upset when Huge was canceled, but ABC Family redeemed itself with this one. The title pretty sums up the series as it is about two girls that were switched at birth and how their families are now trying to co-exist together and make a transition into welcoming each other into their lives. One of the daughters is also hard-of-hearing which makes for extra dramatics. The actress who plays her does a phenomenal job, as do all the other actors that use sign language in the show. Well done.
If you have Netflix, I highly recommend putting one, if not all of these, on your queue. Or go on the network website to see if you can watch. Or catch a marathon on TV if its on. It will soooo be worth it. You honestly don't know what you are missing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but give them a whirl. They will not disappoint. Trust me. If you have time, get watching on these final days of winter break or hunker down one cold weekend and start. With new eps starting again soon, you will thank me.

2 comments:

  1. Also a huge fan of Awkward. on MTV! Takes me back to my high school days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost made that an honorable mention. If I did that, I could have ended my blog in the words of Sadie "You're Welcome" in her obviously bitchy/condescending tone.

    ReplyDelete