Friday, December 30, 2011

Overrated?

The new year is upon us and as one of the most overrated and overhyped holidays (in my opinion) is about to ascend, we must decide what we are going to do for the big night. There is so much involved in this decision and it can be very stressful. What am I going to do? How much money do I want to spend? What am I going to wear? And most importantly, who I am going to make-out with at the stroke of midnight?

There is always so much hype for NYE when all it really is is just another night out with added pressure to have a good time. And who wants that pressure? No one. But most of us succumb to it anyway. So on this New Year, there are a few options that are tried and true.Whether you have decided well in advance what you are going to do or are just gonna wait until the last minute, there are always a few ways you can go.

1) Stay in. The cheapest of them all. And you won't end up with hangover the next morning. Always a plus. Curl up on the couch in your sweats with a movie or two, or even a good book. Head to bed around 10ish and wake up in the morning with all your missed "Happy New Year" texts and no regrets. I have done this a few times and actually really enjoyed it. I have zero qualms about staying in. 

2) Go to a party at someone's house/apt. In my opinion, this is one of the best options if you want to go out and actually be social. Assuming the party is being held by a friend or a friend of a friend, you will know some people there and have the opportunity to meet some new people there as well. Additionally, you won't be paying a fortune. And because you are in someone's home, you can all watch the ball drop on TV. Just don't drink and drive, so plan accordingly.

3) Go on vacation. Get out of the cold and go somewhere tropical. My family used to go away for Christmas and New Years when I was younger and we did it again last year which made me forget how nice it is to be away. It's always fantastic to be dressed up to party at a resort with all-you-can-drink alcohol and a late-night buffet, all while being tan and not having to wear tights or a coat with your dress. And hey, you aren't in your state/country so feel free to live it up even more. What happens in _______, stays in _______. Amiright?

4) Go to one of those $100-200 open bar deals at a bar. This is something that everyone should do once to get it out of their systems. I did it one time that was enough for me. My first legal drinking New Years I bought one of those deals with some friends downtown in Chicago. From what I remember from that evening I had a good time, but those kind of events can be annoying because you go to a bar that you might frequent often but are paying like five times as much simply because its New Years. Is it really worth it? One time it is; so you know you don't have to do it again.

Whatever you do this year, make sure it's what you want to do and you aren't suckered into it. You want to ring in the New Year stress and drama free and have a good time doing it. Remember that 12:01 is officially the New Year so start it off right and have no regrets moving forward. Happy and Healthy everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed.

    I opted to go to a movie last night. Perfect, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember NYE at Cams??? I do not think we were 21 yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally remember that!!! We were def not 21 and I lost my ID that night too somewhere between getting out of the cab and into the bar!

      Delete