Thursday, December 8, 2011

A marathon of emotions

Well, it happened again last night: The Biggest Loser made me cry. Damn you BL, you get me every time with your damn marathon episode.  It's one of the my favorite episodes of each season and by far one of the most inspiring. Of course I cried like a baby. Watching these people that were so morbidly obese just months ago run 26. 2 miles absolutely blows me away. These are people went from couch potatoes to marathon runners in such a short matter of time, changing their lives in between and it is absolutely incredible.

Because I am selfish, the marathon episode also always make me think of my first marathon and all the emotions that came along right with it. I mean, it's a marathon, 26.2 miles, and to truly understand its meaning you have to had run one. I mean, I can't even watch one on TV or in real life, without tearing up because I know what it takes to complete it. It's really an incredible physical feat for anyone and something I think everyone should experience if they can. It will truly change your life. A marathon is a physically and mentally draining event and anyone who runs one impresses the hell out of me and that in itself is no easy task.

I have run five marathons and they never get any easier. Each time its a challenge and that's why I do it. I get some weird gratification (torturing myself with the training and) competing with myself each time and completing this distance. With all the pain comes all the pride and that is something I will have forever.

Running a marathon was never something on my bucket list. When I was a senior in college, I was feeling like a fat-fuck from drinking all the time and eating everything in sight and decided that I needed something to help get motivated to start running again. As an athlete, I always like to have something to work towards, so I decided that I would try to run a marathon. I didn't know anyone who had run one before and I had no idea of the time and energy that actually went into training for and running one, but I knew this would be the goal that I needed to get me back on track. I went on my computer, signed up for the Chicago Marathon, paid, and pressed send. I knew once I paid that entry fee, there was no turning back.

I trained all summer for that marathon. (Mind you I had never run a race further than a 5k (3.1 miles) before so this was a bit of a challenge.) I slowly built up my endurance. Eventually I was doing 20 milers in Central Park. It was def unenjoyable but I sucked it up and did it. Alone most of the time. Each time my mileage went up, I impressed myself and came home so proud of myself. Each time I was running further and further and faster and faster. When marathon day came, I was as ready as I was going to be and I was excited. I was just about to embark on something only 1% of the population can say they have done. And I knew I was going to finish, even if someone had to drag my carcass across the finish line.  I honestly didn't think that something like a race would change me. I mean, really, I was just running...for a long time.

At the start of the race I was excited and nervous. They played the national anthem and I cried. I was inspired by the 30,000 people around me who were about to embark on this amazing journey, something we all worked really hard for. As the race went on I was feeling pretty good. Each mile I ran was one less until the finish line. Once I hit mile 20 I got super excited because I had never exceeded that distance before. That feeling alone was pretty awesome. (Surprisingly I never hit "the wall" either.) As soon as I saw that finish line I began to cry again and continued to cry until I crossed the finish. Even though there were thousands of people around me, I felt alone in my own world of accomplishment. It was fantastic. I couldn't believe I did it. I just ran 26-point-freaking-2 miles. That feeling is truly indescribable and I was surprised that those exact emotions came back to me each of the 4 succeeding marathons I have run. I can honesty say that each time I run a marathon, it's a difficult and challenging task...yet I welcome it. Also, because I want to better my previous time, it gets more difficult and I put more pressure on myself.  However, the end always justifies the mean more than I can ever tell you. The emotions you feel are priceless and are worth the time and the pain.

Whether its a 5k, a 10k, a half marathon or a full, and whether you are running to lose weight, to get healthy, or just for fun, completing something you didn't think you could achieve will be one of the happiest moments in your life and something no one will ever be able to take away from you. And if you are someone who doesn't think its possible for you, just watch one of the marathon episodes of Biggest Loser and prepare to be inspired. ( Just make sure you have Kleenex handy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment