Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympic Fever

Myself, like many others the last week or so has been swept up in Olympic fever. I am embarrassed to say how much Olympics I have been watching. But I love it. I am in awe of so many of the Olympians. The time, the effort, the sacrifice they have given to compete in these games is just incredible. And many of them have such inspirational stories, some of them even overcoming adversity as well. And I'm sure we all know that when I see a personal profile or montage on NBC about their inspirational story, I cry like a baby. Typical.

And lets also not forget about all the eye candy at the games as well. Hello Ryan Lochte, Jeff Adrian, the many Men's water polo teams, The US basketball team (obvi!), Matt Anderson (US Men's volleyball) and the list certainly goes on. And on. (Seriously, click those links!!) (And while you're at it, this one too because it will give you a chuckle.)

As I was watching the many, many hours of these 2012 Olympic games, I always wonder how certain people got involved in the sports they now participate and excel in. Like who is the little kid that decides "Hey, I want to be an Olympic trampoliner?" Or "Man, I really want to play table tennis profesionally one day." I mean, I played a lot of sports competitively growing up like basketball, volleyball, and soccer. I did ice skating (Winter Olympics, I know), gymnastics and track when I was way younger, and took on tennis very casually when I got older (I was a natural of course!) and I dabbled in others is gym class like water polo and badminton (LOVED it!).  And I think by now, we all know that I run. But even though I excelled at some of them (okay, a lot of them), the thought of being an Olympian never really crossed my mind. Maybe it should have? Who knows where I'd be today?!

Throughout the games I was often thinking to myself how I would fare at some of these events if I participated. And let's be serious, I'd get my ass handed to me in all of them. But its still fun to think about it the different events and the exceptional athletes in them. I decided to compile a list (shocking, I know!) of some of the sports I viewed and my thoughts on them as categorized by the headings below.

Sports I wish I was better at:
1) Gymnastics. These girls are amazing. The training and discipline in their lives is absolutely incredible. And they kicked ass this year. All their hard work as a team paid off and I was so happy they won. (Yes, I cried!) Too bad I can't even touch my toes or do the splits. But I can still do a mean roundoff.

2) Diving. The extent of my diving skills is a regular front dive. I wish I could even do a backflip but I can't anymore. I use to when I was younger and a little more reckless. Now, I'm way too scared to hit my head. I think the fear of that has stopped me from attempting anything exciting off a diving board.

3) Beach Volleyball. By far one of my favorites to watch. I love Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings. They are winners. Period. Their bodies are amazing and I am in awe of them constantly. They hustle their butts off and never seem to tire. At 5'3"I was never much of a blocker or a hitter, but a setter. Unfortch, on the beach court, there is very little setting. But I am pretty scrappy so that helped my cause a bit.

Sports I bet I'd be awesome at if given the opportunity:
1) Handball. It's like a cross between soccer and basketball almost. Not too popular in the US but still looked pretty awesome. Looks like fun.

2) Field Hockey. Kind of like a combination of Ice Hockey and Soccer so I think I'd have a good shot at being good at it. Plus it looks to be pretty physical and aggressive and I love to throw elbows. 

3) Vault (Gymnastics). This was always my favorite thing to do in gymnastics. And all through middle school and high school gym class gymnastics, I did pretty well on it. Hmmm....look out McKayla Maroney.

Sports I know I am awful at:
1) Archery. I've tried this before when I use to go to camp. As a camper and a counselor, I sucked at it. Usually the arrow just kind of fell off right in front of me. If it went even five feet, I was lucky. 

2) Hurdles (Track and Field). This white girl can't jump. Period. And even though I was fast, for some reason, I would always just stop in front of the hurdles paralyzed in fear. They actually scared me. I'm sure you have seen people fall from them? That back leg gets caught and WHAM, you are on the ground. Not for me.

3) Butterfly Stroke (Swimming). I am a pretty decent swimmer. Not that fast and not that much endurance but I can swim. However, I look like a the biggest spaz when I do the butterfly stroke. It's not a pretty sight to see. I know its the hardest stroke out there so I will leave this one to Michael Phelps.

Sports I just don't understand:
1) Equestrian. It's people riding horses. Not for speed. But for show. Right? I don't even know. Seems pretty subjective to me. And is it the person or the horse who is skilled? Or both? Fill me in.

2) Fencing. Are you trying to stab the person? Or is this more of an art form? What is the goal of this? Do you earn points? Any info would be helpful.

3) Judo. It's not Karate or MMA or wrestling. So, what is it? Explain please.

After watching the Olympics and all the different sports out there, especially ones I didn't even know existed or were actual "real" sports, it seems there is most definitely something for anyone. What I do know is that each and every one of these athletes has dedicated a great portion of their life to their sport and should be commended win or lose. What I also know is that if I did participate in the Olympics, you better believe I would get those Olympic rings tattooed on me! That's for damn sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment