Friday, August 10, 2012

Songs of MY Summer

With about three weeks left of my summer, I am trying to take in as much as I can. So far this summer I have been going out a lot and running a lot. This means I have been hearing a lot of music. And when I hear good music, my head starts boppin', my shoulders start shruggin', and my booty starts shakin'. Sometimes I just can't fight it.

Most of the songs I have been listening too aren't exactly new, but more-so new to me. And so I have been listening to many of the same songs over and over again. It's a little bit of a problem, but I'll survive.  (I need to make up for lost time after all.) All the songs pretty much are of different genres so the list below might look a little strange if it was a playlist. But you know what, its my playlist and I can play whatever I please! The one thing that all these songs do have in common is that they are ridiculously catchy and awesome. Does a song really need anything more than that? I think not. So with all that being said, here are MY top 5 songs of the summer of 2012. Rock on.

1. Danza Kuduro- Don Omar Ft. Lucenzo. This is a song I have heard a few times before, usually from my students. I always liked it but didn't think anything of it because it was in Spanish and I couldn't really sing along. However, the beat is so awesome I finally asked them the name of the song and artist so I could download it and dance to it in the comfort of my own home. I don't know how people can stand still hearing this beat.
2. One Day- Matisyahu. I was mildly familiar with Matisyahu before I went to the Catalpa Music Festival. During his set I was def feeling the music and really enjoyed both the beat and the lyrics. He really is talented. This is the song he closed his performance with. I had heard it before, but he nailed it live and I was hooked. The next day I downloaded this song and a few others and have listened to it over and over...and over again.
3. Rack City- Tyga. My rap/hip-hop song of the summer for sure. The lyrics are a bit R-rated if you will, but I don't care. I'm straight hood. Ya know?! The rhythm gets me going and that's enough for me. 
 
4. So Good-B.o.B. I thought after "Airplanes" that I had heard the last of B.o.B, but this song kind of came out of nowhere and wasn't really played that much on the radio. I forgot how or where I heard it the first time, but I was loved it from the start. I want someone to treat me "so good" one day.
5. Call Me Maybe- Carly Rae Jepson. This was basically the official song of the summer for many people. Don't hate on me for loving this. Anyone who says they hate it is straight up lying or a total buzzkill. I like the sentiment of the song and its perky tone. After all, I am definitely very pro with the concept of "Call Me Maybe." I am also not ashamed to admit I rock-out to this song all the time and may or may not even request it when I am out at the bars.

I also love the music videos that many celebs, athletes, and others made for this song. Instead of posting Carly's original video, I have decided to post my two favorite cover videos. The first is the Harvard Baseball team and the second is the USA Swim team. They both were awesomely entertaining and filled with really attractive people. When you have a good song mixed with hotties, there aren't going to be any complaints coming from me.

Whether or not you are already familiar with these songs or they are new to you, give them a chance. They have def made my summer a little brighter and more fun. And they are bound to do the same to you. So throw one on, take a look in the mirror and whip out all your best dance moves while no one is watching. I dare ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment