Friday, August 24, 2012

Sizzlin' Summer TV

Summer TV programming is always fun. Your regular shows are on hiatus for the season and out filming for the new upcoming season which can sometimes be a bummer. However, there are a lot of re-runs on that can help you catch up on series you may have missed and want to give a try. Or watch shows you loved over again. I myself have now watched and the entire series of Laguna Beach on MTV retro mornings twice. Yes, twice. Don't judge. It's been awesome. And Style Network has just started airing Gossip Girl from the beginning on Wednesdays nights which I will obviously be watching. It's fun to watch those shows you haven't seen in ages begin all over again.

On top of my usual Teen Mom, Real Housewives of New York AND New Jersey, Real World and Bachelor Pad, (and let's be serious, sooo much more) there are some new summer shows that I have been tuned into on a weekly basis. They have kept my attention. None are serious dramas, but hey, its summer. Most are pretty thoughtless, and some might even call one or two of them "trashy," but I am an equal opportunist when it comes to my television viewing. I will give most shows a one or two episode trial before I drop them. Fortunately, the shows below made the cut for the summer. And hey, I wouldn't mind so much if they stuck around for a while longer.

1) Bunheads. (ABC Family) I am not ashamed to say that I love a good ABC Family series. I was sad when Greek was cancelled and I still watch Switched at Birth. I actually wish I had time to watch more of their shows because they look so good. Bunheads is basically about teenagers who do ballet in a small town in California and all the kookiness that ensues in the town with its new addition, former Las Vegas showgirl Michelle. It's like a cross between Gilmore Girls and the movie Centerstage. What's great about this show too was that it was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, the brainchild behind Gilmore Girls. I loved Gilmore Girls. This show has a lot of the same fast-talking witty banter along with many of the actors that were on Gilmore Girls like Emily Gilmore, Zach (Laine's bf turned husband), Kirk (resident weirdo), Gypsy (Car Repair shop owner), and Jason (Lorelei's ex). And these are just the one's I noticed. It's fun to see them back on my screen again and in totally different, yet equally eccentric roles.

2) Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo. (TLC) You had to see this one coming! I first saw this young lady and her family on an episode clip of Toddlers and Tiaras and was blown away. Total train wreck. Apparently TLC saw this as their opportunity to capitilize and give this girl and her fam their own show. At first, I wasn't even going to watch it because I thought it would be ridiculous. And once I did, my suspicions were confirmed. However, with all the ridiculousness, there is pure entertainment and even some laugh out loud moments. The show has made me cringe and giggle at the same time which I guess is the key to good reality TV. I added it to my weekly DVR list and actually kinda look forward to it. There are just so many quoteables by Mama June alone that keep me coming back for more.You better redneckonize.
3) Gallery Girls. (Bravo) Of course there had to be at least one Bravo show on here. Duh. This is actually a show that I started watching, then stopped because I was a little bored, the rewatched because I realized it had definite potential. And now I am in it. This Bravo reality show is about two groups of girls who are wanting to get into the Art industry in New York City. As the title suggest, most of them want to work at (or even own) art galleries. There are two groups of girls featured on the show: the Brooklyn/LES hipsters and the Upper East Side Socialite girls. These are two groups of people I do not associate myself with in NYC, not because I am not immersed in the world of art (which I am not), but because I am not a hipster or a socialite nor do I roll in those circles. What's interesting about this show is that the Socialite girls come across as the more likeable bunch. They know they are snotty and elitist and embrace it. The hipster girls pretend that they are better than everyone but act like they are not. I guess that's one of the trademarks of being a hipster: taking yourself too damn seriously and not realizing what an asshole you look like doing so. These girls are just trying so hard to be above it all, they come across looking like the snobs. It's actually kind of aggravating to watch (see: anything relating to Chantel). Seeing these girls interact and also listening to them talk about each other is pretty damn entertaining.
4) Wake Brothers. (MTV) When I saw the previews for this show, I didn't know if I would be into it but it seemed to give off a certain charm. I'm glad I gave it a go though because I actually like it. It's about two brothers who are professional Wakeboarderss and their crazy lifestyle. The brothers are pretty different from each other and although some of the "reality show" seems staged (Shocking, I know!), its pretty funny. The younger brother Bob is a hilarious ginger that seems like a really fun time and the older brother Phil is pretty hot. And I think they are Jewish. Double bonus. Bobs antics and Phil's reactions are mostly what the show is made of and frankly, I am enjoying it.
5) Love Broker. (Bravo) Okay, another Bravo show and it just happens to be a dating show at that. Move over Patty Stanger, because matchmaker Lori Zaslow is actually married, cool, respectful of her clients and seems to actually make matches. To me, Lori actually seems to be successful at her job and her clients actually seem like they are looking for love and not for TV ratings. Maybe because they are not "Millionaires" like on Patty's show, they are more genuine in their search for love and Lori seems to really want to help them find it. I find her to be a breath of fresh air and would love the opportunity to use her services and get on her client database. Who knows, maybe one day I will run into on the street and she will approach me like she seems to do with so many women she runs into. Lori, holler!

Since summer is almost over, you better try and watch these before their season ends. There is certainly something for everyone on my list. I also wouldn't mind if some of these stuck around until fall or even got picked up for another season. Hopefully I won't have to wait until next summer to see some of then again. And since I have been watching too much Style Network on Wednesdays lately, I will end this post with love: XOXO, Gossip Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment