Thursday, October 20, 2011

Scrunch those socks

I was a child of the 80's which means I was in junior high in the 90's. I remember it all. The clothes... the TV shows....the music...the trends. I was in junior high from 1993-1996 and I still have vivid memories of the fads from that VERY awkward time in my life. I mean, I had bangs. Curly, gross, frizzy bangs. And braces. Although these weren't my most attractive years, I still have some really fun memories. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking, and others I miss quite fondly. Below are some of my favorite trends from those wonderfully awkward years.

Slap bracelets These were the shit. Then rumors began to swirl that some kid slit his wrists from the metal in the bracelet and parents freaked and companies pulled them off the shelves. Travesty. I never believed the rumors anyway, but still stopped wearing mine because everyone else did. Duh.  Interesting enough, I think they are making a comeback. I saw them for sale this summer in Walgreens. I could not contain my excitement. I did not purchase them though because I still own two of my originals. Leopard and zebra print. Damn right!
  
Scrunch Socks. They had to be made by Wigwam. They were usually worn with your Doc Martin's and a skirt or a dress. And they were a go-to on the Bar/Bat Mitzvah scene. Once the music starting playing, you ditched your dress shoes, put on your socks, and scrunched them down. Now you were ready to party. Champagne Snowball, bee-yatch.

 
TGIF lineup on ABC. Every Friday night you had to watch these: Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, Just the Ten of Us, Perfect Strangers, Boy Meets World, Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, Mr. Belvidere. Over the course of a few years, four of these were on the line-up from 7-9 (CST) every Friday. I couldn't wait. And my parents usually let me have friends over, order pizza, and watch these shows. We really rocked out on Friday nights.  

Spice Girls. Duh. Girl Power.  They were all so different yet were one magnificent group. I knew all the words to "Wannabe" and can still sing over 90% of it today. You know you can too!
 

Overalls. I mean, really? Was I a farmer? Was I painting houses? Nope. I was just so high fashion back then. And I of course wore a baby T under my overalls which I obvi had in the pant and shorts version.

Also during this time period was my Bat Mitzvah, my first period, and the infamous OJ Trial. Such a stressful three years. But I survived and even thrived. Although junior high seems so far away, I can still close my eyes and still picture myself walking down the halls of my school. And thanks to Facebook, I can still keep tabs on some of my best junior high friends (and crushes).

2 comments:

  1. Mini-backpacks anyone???

    Check out what the Wall Street Journal has to say about it:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203388804576617071268535508.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to the mini-backpack comment.

    I must say though, I was also a huge fan of the wide leg jeans, because, you know, when I wore them you couldn't tell how skinny my legs were. (Oh how times have changed.)

    -RS

    ReplyDelete