Monday, October 17, 2011

Tough Love or Common Sense?

I have been accused of watching a lot of crap TV. Of course I strongly disagree with those accusations. So what if I watch a lot of Bravo, MTV, and VH1 reality shows? Sue me. One show that is back on the air that I am a fan of is VH1's "Tough Love." If you haven't seen or heard of this show before (it's on its 4th season), its premise is to take a bunch of single women and have them confront their issues and ability to hold a man with some "tough love" from professional matchmaker Steve Ward. Think I can relate to this one? You betcha.

On this show, Steve puts these women through a series of "challenges" (usually with some twists and turns), mostly involving potential suitors for the ladies, with the purpose of having them see their mistakes first hand, learn from them and eventually form a connection or more with a nice young gentleman.

One of the most recent challenges that Steve puts the women through had to do with texting. With this being the most prominent means of communication for my generation between men and women, Steve really wanted to see if these ladies would sink or swim.  He gave them the phone number of men that they were to initiate a date with. He then gave them cell phones (their "loaded weapons") to have them figure out their next date with these guys. Being the sneaky bastard that he is, Steve programmed his number in all of their phones instead of their dates to see how these women handle texting with a potential suitor. The women thought they were texting their men, but it was really Steve replying to all of them. And while doing so, judging them and dishing out his rules on "dating texting etiquette." As he was critiquing them, this made me consider my texting habits with potential suitors and/or crushes. Man, maybe TV can be educational?!

As the women began starting their text conversations, many of them were doing things that Steve considered mistakes and were jeopardizing their chances of having that man remain interested in them. As I watched, it was interesting to see what a male professional matchmaker thinks scares other men away. Do I do these things to turn off guys? Do guys text these things to me and turn me off by it? Let's see if Steve is onto something with his texting rules or if they are just plain common sense...

Rule 1: Don't Drink and Text. This is one of the biggest mistakes my friends and I tend to make. Steve says drinking and texting is a bad idea and I would have to agree. The girl in question here had one measly glass of wine while texting. One. And this upset him.  When my friends or I break this rule, its usually not after a single glass of wine and not in daylight. It is usually after a bottle of wine and a very dark sky. No wonder this usually leads to nothing but embarrassment and regret the next day.

Rule 2: Just say no to emoticons and acronyms.  I rarely, if ever, use emoticons and am not a huge fan of receiving them. I find them to be effeminate and weird when guys use them. Same thing with acronyms. I have never once written the phrase "LOL" or "LMFAO" in a text. I obviously have received them being as funny as I am. But, I mean really? What is so funny that you are rolling on the floor laughing? I am not that hilarious. Don't flatter me. A simple "haha" will do. Don't be a weirdo.

Rule 3: Be patient. Steve says write one or two questions to a guy and wait for him to reply. Don't bombard him with questions right away. Give him time to reply to each one so you can have an actual conversation (as much as one texting allows you to). Otherwise he won't know which one to answer and will get overwhelmed and/or think you are crazy and just ignore you. Send your text and wait. He will write back. 

So overall, I am pretty good with Rule #2 and Rule #3. Sometimes I lose patience waiting for a response, but I just wait it out. I will usually just freak out over it in my head instead of writing him again. It's too creepy to keep asking questions without getting a response. So just relax.

I do still need to be careful with Rule #1 (and I know I am not the only one.) We live and learn from our mistakes and as I get older, I will hopefully get wiser with my decisions. Or I could just delete the numbers that get me into trouble....Problem solved, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment