Monday, October 31, 2011

GUEST POST: My Friends are Too Pretty


Many of my friends have been super supportive regarding my adventures in blog writing. They also happen to be very smart and witty. (Remember you are the company you keep!) I wanted to provide them with an opportunity to express themselves if they so desire. I mean, why should I be the only one able to rant about my life? With that being said, below is the first of what I hope is many more guest posts on this blog. Enjoy.

I am an actress. I am a quirky, curvy, five foot tall actress. I may be cast as a best friend, little sister, or turtle. That’s right, I played Tina Turtle in a musical called “The Goldfish Twins Swim the Big Blue Sea." I went to summer camp for theater. I did all of the shows in high school. I attended college for musical theater, and I moved to New York to pursue my Broadway dreams. Therefore, 90% of my friends are actresses (and actors but we are going to focus on the girls right now.) These talented ladies are not just any old assortment of actresses. They are really, really beautiful actresses. My best friends from college, who are still some of my best friends, could be described as a model, a Zoey Deschanel type, and the girl with the perfect dimples. We can add to that (now that I have made even more actress friends from various shows and auditions and my current job at Lululemon) another model, a natural beauty, and a hotter version of Lindsay Lohan in her “Mean Girls” days. I love my friends. They are amazing, motivated, warm, intelligent, funny, and delightful human beings. I realize it is not their fault they are so attractive. I should not stop being their friends just because people literally turn their heads when they pass by.  

I was at work the other day. I was having a dance party, like I do, and these two men walked in my section. I said hello and we struck up a conversation. They even joined my dance party. While we were talking I found out one of the men is here in New York because he is doing his pediatrics rounds. This man was also super attractive. We talked for about ten minutes. Dare I say, some flirting occurred. I started to get really excited. I got super girly and in my head I was all “Oh my gawd he totes likes me. I think he may ask me for my phone number. What if I date a doctor? My bubbe is going to be so happy, etc...” He then inquired about a feature on one of the men’s shirts I didn’t know about. He was all, “Let’s go look at it.” I was all, “Yeah, let’s, because I totally don’t believe that feature exists.” We wandered to the men’s section and he was totally right. Cue my hot Lindsay Lohan friend joining in on our convo. It’s totally not her fault. We were in HER section after all. I then had to return to my section, leaving Doctor man, his friend, and Hot Lindsay Lohan to chat. Five minutes later, the two men shout goodbye to me and my friend comes rushing over “He asked for my number.” Cue, almost epic temper-tantrum/meltdown by yours truly. 

I kept it together. To be honest, this type of thing has happened to me more times than I can count. It seems as though guys tend to like hot girls. Weird, right? The moral of the story is, having gorgeous friends makes things difficult for us with “unique faces.” (One of the men who lives on my block loves telling me I have a unique face.) Men tend to be distracted by the long legs, shiny hair, and tiny noses of the ladies surrounding me. I refuse to play the victim. My options are to find myself some homely looking friends, to put myself together, or keep on keeping on in hopes that Mr. or Dr. Right will come along and not be blinded by the perfect tens that surround me day in and day out. I think I am going to keep on keeping on in my cowboy boots and blue mascara. 

Author: The Gu

1 comment:

  1. Your Cousin. Well, not yours. Hers.November 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM

    I will preface this by saying that I don't know you at all, and I'm basing this entirely on what you've written. I'm also writing in generalities based on my experiences, but there are clearly exceptions to everything I'm saying. Here, then, are my thoughts:

    Truthfully you have three options. Two are bad and one is good. One is to hope that you are approached by groups of guys and be content with taking one of the less attractive ones. The second is to find some worse looking friends to go out with. I'm guessing you don't want to do either of these things.

    The third option is just to online date. Doing this has two advantages. First, if you post enough pictures and give the guy enough information (no pictures with sunglasses, make sure a couple show your body, etc) you can be pretty certain that any guy who agrees to go out with you is physically attracted to you. The second is that you won't have your friends around to make you look worse. Also, make sure not to include said friends in any of your pictures.

    In a more general sense though, if you hang out with these super hot girls you're probably going to have to be more realistic. I have no idea what you look like, but to hear what you say you're not an absolute knockout. If that's true, you're probably not going to be dating guys as hot as the ones your friends are dating. Guys are extremely superficial and generally will go for the hottest girl they can get. If your friends are really hot they presumably also have super high standards; if the guy in question is one your friends would consider dating, it's very likely that he won't be interested in dating you, although he might be willing to just hook up with you a few times. (Guys will lower their standards a lot if they don't have to put in any work.) If your friends think a guy is really hot, you're probably best just assuming he's not going to be interested in you unless he really overtly shows interest. (Ironically, despite their supposed worse emotional intelligence guys are much better at knowing when girls are out of their league than vice-versa, probably since they are used to getting completely shot down by girls who are way too hot for them.)

    Fortunately for you, the hottest guys are much more likely to be assholes, just like the hottest girls are more likely to be crazy or bitchy. If you really want to have a fulfilling relationship, you're better off not going for the hottest guys anyway.

    ReplyDelete