Friday, October 21, 2011

SNL=Sunday morning laughs

I have watched Saturday Night Live for as long as I can remember. I still watch it. I DVR it every Saturday Night and watch it in bed Sunday morning. For an hour and half show, I can watch it in about 30 minutes. No commercials. No bands. And I usually stop after Weekend Update because that's when the show starts to take a nosedive.

SNL has made way for some of the funniest actors and actresses out there. I would LOVE to be on that show although I am not nearly as talented as their writers and actresses but always thought it would be so fun to do. SNL through the years has gone through phases of being funny and being just plain dumb depending on the cast. The funniest of skits have been made into some pretty great movies (Wayne's World, Night at the Roxbury) and some pretty lame ones (Blues Brothers, Coneheads, McGruber, etc...).  There were reoccuring sketch characters on that show I will never forget (Church Lady, Pat, Linda Richmond, Wayne and Garth, Cheerleaders, Mary-Catherine Gallagher, Matt Foley, and I could keep going on) because they were hilarious and guest stars that you can guarantee will give a good show (John Goodman, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin, Justin Timberlake, etc...). There are so many SNL sketches that I can watch over and over and crack up every single time. There are actually way too many to list here, but I tried to compile my favorite skits with many honorable mentions. So here they are, my five top SNL sketches over the years.

1. Gap Girls.  This has one the best lines in SNL history. "Lay off me, I'm starving." Man, I loved Chris Farley. 

2.  Simon. Mike Myers as a little British boy with bad gas. Classic.


3. Philip and Grace. Mike Myers (again) as an ADD child is just plain hysterical. He also reminds me of my brother when he was younger.

4. More Cowbell. Will Ferrell is genius in this skit.

5. Sex and the City skit. Christina Aguilera as Samantha was so spot on it was scary. And they really nailed the others girls traits.
(If this is too blurry, check out this LINK for a better version. It's worth it.

Honorable Mentions: Any skit with my favorite characters mentioned above (Wayne's World, Coffee Talk with Linda Richmond, Cheerleaders, etc...), Any Jeopardy skit, Chippendales, Night at the Roxbury, Dog Show, Delicious Dish, Brian Fallows Safari Planet, Astronaut Jones, Super Fans, Inspirational Speaker Tom Foley, and Adam Sandler's Lunch Lady Land song.

This was seriously difficult having to list just my top five. I am sure there are ones I will think of later that I want on here instead, but whats done is done. And some of my honorable mentions could have easily made it on here too. Furthermore, this doesn't even include the digital shorts and fake commercials. I hope they make you laugh and/or smile as they make me do.

1 comment:

  1. Some excellent choices! Some of the fake commercials, like "Oops I crapped by pants" or the beer commercial are good too. Maybe that can be another topic! ake SNL commercials. HUH??

    ReplyDelete